Is this squating?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Jul 25, 2011.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    So I went to pick up my BA yesterday and she got low to the ground and started stomping her feet. Is this squating?
    Thank you.

2. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Yes it is. [​IMG]

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    yeah for you! EGGS!!!!

4. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Won't be long for your eggs!! Mine started squatting for thr rooster about 2 weeks before we saw an egg. Only one is laying, so far she's laid 5!! [​IMG]

5. vlflower

vlflower Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    Altamont, NY
    Hi! I've been lurking for a couple of months now....new to the chicken community. We have 6 Rhode Island Reds and 6 Silver Laced Wyandottes - all pullets. They are turning 13 weeks this week.

I've read about the squatting. My Reds seem to be squatting every time I pet them. It seems early, but I've been watching for eggs anyway and the nesting boxes are all ready to go. Is it normal to squat this young or maybe I'm just too anxious waiting for the first eggs! LOL

Thanks a bunch.

I've learned alot from this board over the last couple of months.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG] They may be squatting but you may not get any eggs from them for another couple of weeks. Are their combs and wattles nice and red. That is another indication that they are getting ready to start laying soon.

7. vlflower

vlflower Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    Altamont, NY
    I have about 3 of each breed that are nice and red, although they combs and wattles still have growing to do. Do they start to lay before the combs are fully developed?

Sorry if thats a stupid question....LOL just kind of figuring the girls out as we go. They are all doing great tho and have quite the personalities!

8. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Phew! That's a relief! I wasn't sure what she was doing! I have heard of the squatting before but I never seen it before. My other 3 girls that are the same age are already laying. And they never squatted. I am glad to hear she is normal! [​IMG]

Also, will she always squat when I go to pick her up? Or is this something she will outgrow once she starts laying and relizes I am not a rooster?

Thanks guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by