Is this squatting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by downtownjb80, Sep 14, 2011.

1. downtownjb80

downtownjb80 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2011
    Newton Aycliffe
    My hens are about 17 weeks old. When I put my hand on their back they drop their tails and try to walk away. One of them stopped and let me rub her back for a while but only once, they all try to get away from me. Is this squatting or are they just trying to escape?

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Usually when they "squat" they spread their wings away from their bodies as well. THen, if you pet them a few times, they'll "shake it off" - like when a dog or horse shakes.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    No not a squat. When they squat, they don't walk. They hunker down with their wings out and head down a bit. And when you pet them they get up and fluff off.

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Sorry, it's not. It won't be too long though. Good luck with your first egg!

5. downtownjb80

downtownjb80 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2011
    Newton Aycliffe
    Well whatever it is I got an egg today!

6. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Good deal-breakfast!

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats!

8. pooh731

pooh731 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Hanford, ca
    when u reach for the hens back and she spreds her wings a bit and lets u give her a good back scratchin,she may even drop to the ground and raise her tail,twitchin it to the side a bit and opening her vent.....this ain't squatin.... it's what she does with a rooster...if she doesn't want to “play” she will raise her head, lower her butt and scooch away.

9. AngelaClassAct

AngelaClassAct Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    Quote:Exactly! And this is how I catch some of my chickens, I put gentle pressure on their backs to get them to squat so I can pick them up. They do that because that's what they do when they go for a ride with the rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by