Is this starter feed good?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Wheely, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Wheely

Wheely Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2008
    South Jersey
  2. simba49450

simba49450 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Michigan
    hi there,

thats what i bought for my chicks. depending on how young they may need that sugar water. if they are about 1 week the 20% is perfect. just whatever you do do not get the 24%. it makes them grow and feather out way too soon. but stick with the 20%. and good luck:D

3. Wheely

Jul 26, 2008
    South Jersey
    thanks.... these are about 24 hours old, is this feed to get them going or should i try something else?

4. simba49450

May 23, 2008
    Michigan
    i would personally look on line and see what they suggest. once they get over the sugar water type stuff the feed will be great. oh when they start eating the feed be sure to get them chick starter grit that will help too.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with simba49450. They will eat it. If you can't find chick grit, then either smash up some regular granite grit or put some sand in a dish for them.I couldn't fine chick grit or they were out of it, so I smashed some granite grit, Then I saw a post about sand so I gave that to them too instead of smashing more granite grit.

6. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Baby chicks at least the ones i have hatched didn't really have an interest in the chick feed until day 3. You could try making a mash with the feed and a bit of water and see if they eat it that way.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Newly hatched chicks may not have any interest in food for 2 or 3 days.

Keep plenty of water and fresh food out and they will begin investigating it soon it. Keep and eye on them and make sure they begin drinking by late day 2 or 3 and help them along if needed by gently dipping their beak in the water to introduce them to it. They will catch on VERY quickly.

Enjoy your fluffy butts.

8. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Thats what I used for my chicks, and it wasn't all that great. Maybe it's because they were bantams, but it didn't seem crushed fine enough for them to get much out of it. They ate a lot and pooped a lot. It didn't look much different coming out than going in. More grit could help with that. On the plus side their poo smelled like chicken feed.

9. Wheely

Jul 26, 2008
    South Jersey
    thanks for the replies...I took the feed and smashed it into even smaller bits...placed it in the palm of my hand and they went for it....funny looking all 4 fit into my hand and tried eating...thanks again

10. simba49450

May 23, 2008
    Michigan
    hi there

im glad that it worked, good luck on your little babies and keep us posted. and congrats:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by