is this strange or what and possibly we should all start to do this :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lucyharper123, Jan 7, 2013.

1. lucyharper123

lucyharper123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    well my first ever hatch was fantastic on 22 out of 24 eggs had hatched and were thriving in the brooder but the only thing was that they kept cirping for me as if i was the hen so what i did was i grabbed this one teddy of my bed and put it in with them they loved it they would cuddle up to it all night long and were silent but happy cirps and now ever since that i have put the same teddy in the brooder each time and they all love it !! it even has a name'ted'it really has helped me out but the question is should we all be putting a fake mother ? i mean c'mon they must get lonley not having something to cuddle into [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Congrats! That's a very good hatch rate.
    Lots of people put soft toys in the brooder for the chicks to snuggle up to, especially if there's only one chick. I hang a feather duster in the brooder for the chicks to crawl under. They love it! I think, being babies and not having a mommy can be scary for them, so something to crawl under and snuggle up to is great.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. nok13

nok13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    i take a long sock, stuff with rags or orphan socks , and curve it around in a corner of the box; our lone chick sleeps there (first i saw it sleeping in that corner every night, so tahts wher i put the 'soft sleeper'... i also put in a small mirror so it sees itself. it doesnt know that it is a reflection, so that seems to provide 'company'

1 person likes this.
  4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Congrats on the hatch!!!

5. nok13

nok13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    well today the lone ranger chcik got some siblings; five more popped out fo their eggs and are now all in the brooder, warm and snuggly and he is the boss chick, they watch him/her and learn to scratch for food and drink water... and they are all kick boxing already (thai fighting chicken breed) ;
    the two blond ones seem weaker, wondering if that colour or that father si a weakr specimen? the dark ones are all strong and bouncy..

6. SarahJaneB

SarahJaneB Chillin' With My Peeps

Aww the teddy bear and feather dusters are such good ideas. I'll have to try that with my brooder when I build it!

7. DayOldChicksNY

DayOldChicksNY Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2013
    New York
    I've heard of people putting stuffed animals in with there brooder but i don't really care for that idea. First of all, The Bacteria... The feces are getting on the stuffed animal, and i really don't want to have to run him through MY wash machine that i wash my clothes in, HA! Second, if your using a brooder bulb, its a fire hazard... Those are the first two things that come to mind. If the chicks are screaming there's a few reasons why... There Hungry, They Are Too Cold, They Are Too Hot... If they are comfortable they wont be chirping like crazy.

8. NotableNancy

NotableNancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I'm confused... you state that if you are using a brooder bulb, it's a fire hazard. I thought we are supposed to use a brooder bulb?? I'm new to raising chicks, don't get my first ones until April, but what are you saying we should use??
    Totally confused.

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  10. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I did the same thing with a lone serama chick. Even the two dutch banty chicks were too big for him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by