Is this strange?

thudson

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 2, 2013
Gatesville Texas
Sorry it has been a little while since I been on here but been real sick and health issues. But recently I found out my sister will not eat farm fresh eggs she will only get hers from a grocery store. I tell her my eggs are just as good or better than those. I am telling her the truth right?

Sorry it has been a little while since I been on here but been real sick and health issues. But recently I found out my sister will not eat farm fresh eggs she will only get hers from a grocery store. I tell her my eggs are just as good or better than those. I am telling her the truth right?

Yes and store eggs are frequently weeks or months old by the time they get to the store. Some even contain traces of antibiotics which is bad news as our antibiotics are becoming less and less effective from overuse.

Thanks for the reply! How do they contain traces of antibiotics?

Welcome back to BYC! Some egg farms use antibiotics on their birds to keep disease from spreading in crowded conditions even though they are not supposed to. They also aren't required or willing to label the eggs with "may contain" x,y or z.

Of course you're telling her the truth. I know that I won't eat home grown chickens, beef, etc. My hubby tells me, that if it doesn't come from the store, that I won't eat it! I just think its something we get in our heads about the eggs. Now, the meats, that's another story. I remember my brother raised a steer, then had someone come by and slaughter him. I told my hubby, that as long as he has "T-bone" in the freezer, I won't go over there! And yes, he did name him that too! I guess its just knowing the animal, and I'd never eat one that I have known. Also, I think I could be a vegetarian, but the family won't agree to that!

Another thing! Is it strange for me raising chickens but I can not bring myself to kill and butcher my own chickens? I recently had a chicken that got hurt (broke her back somehow) and I had to put her down. Hardest thing I have ever done. I hunt and fish and have no problem cleaning and butchering them (wild game). But when it's something I have raised from 1 day old it's so hard. Any advice to overcome this fear and total dread!

Another thing! Is it strange for me raising chickens but I can not bring myself to kill and butcher my own chickens? I recently had a chicken that got hurt (broke her back somehow) and I had to put her down. Hardest thing I have ever done. I hunt and fish and have no problem cleaning and butchering them (wild game). But when it's something I have raised from 1 day old it's so hard. Any advice to overcome this fear and total dread!

I won't butcher my laying hens. They're not quite pets to me such as my dogs are but I just won't do it. My girls have names, and during the time I raise them and see their personalities and wait anxiously for them to start laying I lose the ability to just see them as just livestock. Since I do have them for a purpose which is for eggs I solve the problem of keeping old non laying hens by selling off the whole flock at 2 years old. They're still laying well so I believe they are being used for eggs, I do not ask if they're heading for the stew pot. I have done the research on raising broilers, this is something I would like to do in the future. I do not have my husband sold on the idea, though we have decided to expand the run and I may try next spring. His primary concern was my idea of a moveable tractor through the yard, we disagree on how messy it would be.
hmm.png
Anyway the idea of raising a small batch of broilers for 6-8 weeks for the intended purpose of freezer meat does not disturb me as the thought of one of the layers becoming dinner disturbs me.

This reluctance may get weaker as you have them for a longer time. Especially if you start keeping larger and larger numbers of birds. It did for me.

I still love my chickens, but I love the flock, more so than the individual birds, now. I have not cried over the loss of a bird in a long time, I have stopped naming all but the most unique individuals, and I culled a sick bird (without trying to doctor) for the first time recently. I actually got rid of the whole egg flock because of that sick bird. I didn't want it to spread to my breeder birds, so I sent them all to a family that eats them. I did cry as we were loading them all up, but it was the loss of a flock, not one bird.

It is not uncommon for folks to have a mental hang-up regarding eating farm fresh eggs - and the reasons behind it can vary. Understanding her specific reasons may help you be able to address them or offer counter information for her to perhaps reconsider her decision.

I hope that you feel better very soon! I would just count your lucky stars that there are more healthy eggs in the world for you to eat and not ponder too much about your sister. There will always be those that have distanced themselves from food and the reality of where it comes from. I bet you could find someone close by and offer to help with the processing and get a fresh chicken for your troubles. Once you have tasted REAL chicken, the grocery store stuff is absolutely disgusting! That is a start. Then you can get a few meaties to raise and if you are not comfortable with doing the deed, have your helper start the processing and you can do the cleaning part. I have a neighbor that has a hard time killing her own chickens, but she can process mine just fine and then I help her out. Raising your own chicken is a thousand times better than buying in the store.

Back
Top Bottom