Is this the beginning of CRD?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Glos Girls, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Glos Girls

Glos Girls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    We are so upset, we have a healthy flock of 60 hens and are ready for more. We needed hens who were near laying or already laying. We found someone who had to sell 30 laying hens because he lost his buyers, so happily we brought them home last night. This afternoon we noticed one was wheezing constantly, (she was not wheezing last night) All of our hens are in the barn together but new ones are separated with 6' fence.) I immediately put the hen who was wheezing in a large carrier to isolate her from all of the other hens. She is eating & drinking & has no other symptoms. Also some of the new hens are molting, could this cause her to wheeze? Just so worried we brought CRD to our healthy girls. :( We sell our eggs, if I give her an antibiotic will I still be able to sell her eggs if she recovers?

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You need to isolate or remove all the new ones, although it may be too late if one group is ill.

A lab test or professional exam is the only way to be sure of what is wrong with them, and what course of treatment they need. One chicken wheezing (or sneezing) could be a simple problem like a foreign body, not indicating illness.

You may want tocontact your state vets office or county extension agent.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  3. Glos Girls

May 19, 2014
    I went out first thing this morning and she seems fine :) No wheezing or anything! Still keeping her in the crate for a few days to be sure. Praying she stays healthy & it was only something stuck that was making her wheeze.

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    [​IMG]

5. Glos Girls

May 19, 2014
    It has been a couple days & she is doing great, so letting her join the other girls again. So thankful :) Thank you for your info will save it for future reference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by