is this the lavender color?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by raiderbabe239, Sep 17, 2009.

1. raiderbabe239

raiderbabe239 ♥ Hatchaholic ♥

Jun 19, 2009
    Fort Myers, Fl
    he/shes one of my little mutt chicks just wondering because he/she is turning out to be really pretty lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

wow, that's odd, I was just in PM with ShelleyD asking about blue and self blue/lavendar [​IMG] (and in cochins, no less).

looks Lavendar/self blue to me.

meri

3. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    She looks like a BLUE to me

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I agree, if she were lavender she would be a light grey color all over, similar to a splash. She is too dark to be lavender IMO.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I agree, it's a blue chick. Lavender is almost silvery colored at that age. Here is a lavender Cochin chick

[​IMG]

6. thewarriorchild

thewarriorchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    Awwwww I have no idea what color it is but it is SOOO cute!!!

7. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I just don't understand the self blue splash and lavender thing. If it looks lavender with no spots its lavender. If it has spots it is self blue/lavender. If it varies in the lavender color i call it a splash. I'm sure i'm wrong but it took me 4 months to find out I had a splash Sizzle. [​IMG]

I just think any chicken (or chick) with this "Lavender" color is just beautiful and i'm lucky enough to have 2. I will have a "Splash Silkie Roo" to go with my Splash Sizzle. She is just so cute. I can't wait to see what their babies will look like.

8. raiderbabe239

Jun 19, 2009
    Fort Myers, Fl
    Quote:Thank you [​IMG] i just love my little mutt chicks you never know just what the color will be lol

9. raiderbabe239

Jun 19, 2009
    Fort Myers, Fl
    And thanks guys i guess ill see if shes blue or splash or whatever when she gets all her feathers, and hopefully SHE is a SHE lol

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Lavender/self blue is a gene, not a shade of blue. The lavs generally have no darker hackle or saddle colors. The chick I posted above is the same in the pic below:
    [​IMG]

Your chick will not be a splash. It's blue, trust me. Splash is almost silvery white in color at that age. I raise blue Orpingtons and the Cochin above is my only lavender bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by