Is this the real thing?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DebbieLynn, Nov 15, 2009.

1. DebbieLynn

DebbieLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    East Tennessee
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    She's been like this for two days now and just checked and she's still there. I'm not the only person who collects eggs and the eggs she was on were collected. I took 2 bantam eggs and 2 LF eggs, placed them in front of her and she rolled all of them right under! [​IMG] UPDATE! It was the real thing! [​IMG] My little bantam hen "Stormy" has 3 babies and is the best MOM ever. She is so cute and she has been teaching the chicks everything they need to know! Thanks to everyone who offered advice. It was greatly appreciated as this was my first ever broody hen. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  2. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Yes, you have got a broody.[​IMG]

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Yep that be a broody!

4. DebbieLynn

Feb 9, 2009
    East Tennessee
    [​IMG] I realize it's November but I can't help but let her go if she wants to! I'll just have to make some adjustments so she has what she needs. The only problem that needs to be fixed now is the rest of my flock. [​IMG] They like to get really pushy about the nest boxes!

5. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    she might have to be moved to a broody pen, or in the garage house etc, if you dont know how to do this, this is how... at NIGHT, move her nest box with her in it into the broody pen, if your nests arent portable, just put her and her eggs in a portable nest and move them in that

6. DebbieLynn

Feb 9, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I was thinking maybe block this one nest off from the rest of the flock as that particular nest is attached........

7. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

no, you can't block it.

she still need to eat,drink and poop and stretching her *muscle* just as we human to relax the body. better to isolate her to a special cage/pen/room.

8. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    We had a broody that i moved by sliding some stiff cardboard under her and the nest and then sliding the whole thing out (supporting the bottom with a hand) and placing it into a dog crate with all of the stuff she needed. The front lip of our nesting boxes comes off easily so we could just scoop her up. Good luck just watch out for those broody poops!!!! [​IMG]

9. DebbieLynn

Feb 9, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:I would never block an animal of any kind off from food and water or room to "stretch". I meant that I could attach a very large milk crate or something that would keep the others off of her but she would have room to come off the nest and food and water would be in front of her at all times. I may be wrong but I was under the impression that broody hens don't like to leave the nest for any length of time anyway?...... If I'm wrong about this please let me know. If I'm not able to do that then I'll just have to try and move her elsewhere. Right now she has pretty much declared that NOBODY had better even think about using this box! [​IMG]

10. cimarron

cimarron Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Central Tejas
    she is really pretty! looks almost lavender???...what kind of hen ? she looks like she means business. have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by