Is this the result of being pecked and bullied? (see pic)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shahann, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Shahann

Shahann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2014
    I got three new Barred Rock chickens today. I believe they are 22 months old. They were from Craigslist. I know, I know... I was taking a chance on getting these. I have them separated from the others, of course. The previous owner said that they have a pecking problem.

It seemed that where the chickens were they were just egg producers and not pets. They had a large run, but there was no grass at all. It was bare ground and nothing for them to do (no obstacles, nothing dangling, no perches, no dust baths, absolutely nothing. I also noticed that their feed trough was on the ground and not hanging (hence they had to bend over to eat and maybe someone pecked at them while they were eating or out of boredom.) The other chicken's behind is the same as these and there is a similar spot on her neck. I don't think it's mites or lice.

I'm hoping a little TLC will do the trick. They have already been moved where there's a pecking piƱata of cucumber. They have a Little Tikes picnic table and roof with a log. They have an old tire with new sand/gravel for a dust bath. I gave them oyster shells and a hanging feeder. I ordered some pinless peepers for them. Any extra tips or suggestions?

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would put them on 16% layer feed, but give them extra protein for awhile, perhaps with 24% gamebird feed, scrambled eggs, or good dry cat food. Another way to go is to use 20% Flock Raiser and give extra calcium (crushed oyster shell or egg shells) in a separate container for free feeding. I would use a bad tasting anti-pick lotion on the red areas, or spray with BluKote (very staining.) They may have kept these chickens in a smaller area than you saw, or there could have been a chronic feather-picker with them. Be sure and look them over for lice eggs and mites.

3. Shahann

Shahann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2014
    Thank you! I did give them a feeder of oyster shell. I'll check my current bag of feed to see. I just pick up the "layer pellets" at TSC right now. I'll get them some different feed tomorrow. I know that I am not using game feed. Great information!!!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The higher protein would be good for a few weeks, just to make sure they aren't feather picking because of a deficiency, but it is best to remain in the 16-20% range, and no higher for protein. I use the 20% flock raiser most of the year if I have chicks or a lot of pullets before point of lay, and cockerels and roosters. It has 1% calcium versus the 4% calcium of layer feed. Feeding the higher calcium can cause gout in birds not laying, especially immature ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by