1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this the right bedding for them?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Honeysuckle, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Honeysuckle

Honeysuckle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Burnin' up in KY
    We went to Rural King yesturday and replaced our cedar chip bedding (thanks people on the other thread) and got a mashed up bedding of corn cobs. When I smoothed it into the brooder, it felt hard. Well the chicks little feet get hurt? I don't want to make another stop, so I hoping no.

2. fuzz

fuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2007
    Ohio
    Is there something wrong with sawdust?

And I dont have much experience but I dont think It would hurt their feet one bit [​IMG]

3. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    I use pine shavings, I don't think that anything is wrong with sawdust. Do your chicks eat it though? Also, I read that the corn cob bedding is good, don't know if it can hurt feet.......sorry. Good luck to you both!

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    There are some folks that I know of who use that type of bedding; it works just fine, it's not as soft as the pine bedding, and I prefer pine because they love to "dust bathe" in it. But, the type you picked up is actually more absorbent than pine shavings. It'll work just fine.

5. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    oops...misread...sorry [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  6. CassInMass

CassInMass Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2009
    I got alder shavings. Are these ok for baby chicks?

7. Eggie and Me

Eggie and Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern California
    Our Brooder if you dare to call it that is nothing more than a $4 BIG plastic tub from WalMart with Pine Shavings and a couple of time a day I either turn over or give our girls new OLD socks. They (at 9 days) see me coming with new socks and they go absolutely crazy with this wierd little noise they make...[​IMG] I too was going to use cedar and pine shavings until I read here about cedar being a tad to toxic [​IMG]

8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Eggie, you give your girls socks? Did I read that right? To lay with? Interesting!

9. Eggie and Me

Eggie and Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern California
    Yes old socks.... I make sure there are no loose threads etc. But yeah, and they love it. It's just sooooo funny to watch them act all big and nesting in their socks.... [​IMG]

10. Redhead Hen

Redhead Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    Quote:I think I've seen a post by you mentioning these socks before! After that post I have been wondering if I should do the same thing. Do you put them in with the shavings too? Any pics??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by