Is this the right first step for this North Florida newbie?

Keystone newbie

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 1, 2008
Keystone Heights, FL
Apologies if I put this in the wrong topic. None of the others really seemed to fit what I'm after. Tis bad form to mess up on your first post!
big_smile.png

We have decided to try our hand at keeping chickens. One of the main goals is to have fresh eggs on hand. Unfortunately, we started late and can't find any chicks locally that are egg producing breeds. We can mail/internet order, of course, but we're brand new at this and we just don't think having 25 chicks is a good idea at this point. We want to start small, get to know the birds, etc., before we expand.

The local garden center has some silkie chicks for sale. I've read they're not good egg producers. But we're thinking of going ahead and getting a couple of them just so we can experience keeping chickens. I've heard they're excellent setters, so if I luck into pullets, they may get work in the future as brooders. We figure the worse case is we've got a few new pets.

Is this a good idea? Since we also want to have eggs, should we hold out and keep looking for layers? Or will the silkies be a good introduction and start to our flock?

Thanks so much for your help.

hi welcome since you dont want 25 chicks.go look at cackles webbsite.they have a min order of 15 chicks.the silkies are know tobe good broodies.i dont think their egglaying is all that good.

Thanks very much. I checked out that site and also found My Pet Chicken off this one. So we can get some layers, but we'll have to wait a few weeks for availability. On the plus side, that gives us plenty of time to prepare, but I really want to have chickens now!
lol.png

Deanne

I suggest you check out your local Craigslist and search for laying hens, Chickens, etc. If no one has any listed, post a listing in the wanted-to-buy section. I bet there's someone close by with either adult birds or chicks. Perhaps hatching eggs if you want to go that route.
Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for the welcome and comments. We have looked locally, with no luck, and I did check out Craigslist. There were some possibilities, but I was hesitant. I'm afraid of fertilized eggs at this stage. I don't want to kill anything.

We decided to hold off on the silkies, as cute as they are, and ordered from My Pet Chicken. They do small orders. Unfortunately, the babies aren't available until mid-June, so I'm going nuts already! I guess I'll have to content myself with more learning and preparing for the babies' arrival.

Thanks again,
Deanne

Back
Top Bottom