Is this the right thermostat? Help Needed!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Mar 24, 2012.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
  2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Yes the GQF Thermostat on the link is what you want. I have two homemade incubators and have the GQF in both.

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    I will go ahead and order then. Thank you. [​IMG]

4. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    You can use lots of different types of thermostats. I'm using one that had been used as a thermostat for a room. It's probably 50 years old (or more). I got it from my dad, who most likely had been upgrading a heating/cooling system.
    Lots of people here use thermostats from water heaters. The key is putting the thermostat close to the heat source, so the thrermostat warms up quickly and shuts the heat source off. It keeps the temperature from fluctuating as much in the 'bator. I didn't look at the one you linked to, but you can pick up a water heater thermostat for less then $15 at a place like Home Depot.

5. CrazyChickens09

CrazyChickens09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2009
    SC Kansas
    Are you sure you arent needing a hot water heater thermostat?

6. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    I researched a bit and found out that wafer thermostats had less of a temperature range (I think it is something like 2 degrees before it shuts off/on the heat source) while the water heater thermostats have a higher range (I think it is 6 degrees) before the heat source turns on and off. This is what made me decide on a wafer thermostat. If you guys think differently, please let me know. I want to make the right decision for my homemade incubator. I used a dimmer switch for my last hatch, but I had a bad hatch rate because unless I was watching the incubator 24/7 the tempature was horrible. This is what has led me to want to buy a thermostat.

7. fried green eggs

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    If you use the lower water heater thermostat it needs to be mounted so the silver (back side) is close to heat source 1 1/2" and you need to plan on several days to get it regulated so it will hold temp pretty steady to use in bator. A GQF is a little bit more $ but, easier to get set to hold temps steady but, thats just my opinon.

8. fried green eggs

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I used the heating element from a small crockpot on my hatching bator and with the GQF thermostat it stays totally dead on 99.5 degs as long as I don't open lid or access door.

9. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by