Is this the umbilical drying up?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fox, May 3, 2009.

1. Fox

Fox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    [​IMG]

When the chick hatched we didn't notice anything. I didn't even notice the next day, but, today, I thought maybe it had pasty butt as I saw something on the tail end feathers. When I got her out, I saw that her vent was clear, but there was just some mess on the feathers just a bit lower. As I swabbed it away I saw the little drying reddish, bubbled looking stuff. It is dry and firm. I just want to be sure that is what it is and if there is anything special I should do? This is on a Silkie chick. She is now 2-1/2 days old.

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    ***bump!***

3. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    I'm bump-u-lump-ing it again... I want to know the answer.

Come on you hatch-a-holics... someone needs your help![​IMG]

Calling Super Hatcher~!

4. Fox

Nov 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the bumps! I was sure someone on here would know right away what that was!! I hope someone does. It is a concern when you aren't sure what it is and if you're supposed to be doing something for it. I just want to make sure she is ok.

5. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    How is she?

6. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    I have had three chicks do that, all of them are wild and running around today, I think it may have been a bit of the yolk sac that didn't absorb... Someone here has to know the technical term for it though.

7. Fox

Nov 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Quote:She seems fine and healthy right now... I just see that spot and of course worry! LOL!

8. Fox

Nov 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Quote:Well, that is what I thought it might be, but I didn't know for sure and I didn't know if there is something you're supposed to do, like swab it with something to keep it clean or just leave it be.

9. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:Well, that is what I thought it might be, but I didn't know for sure and I didn't know if there is something you're supposed to do, like swab it with something to keep it clean or just leave it be.

Honestly I just left it and checked a couple time everyday, if it starts to look bad then I would really start to worry, but in all reality it looks pretty much ok right now!

10. Fox

Nov 4, 2008
    South Carolina

Honestly I just left it and checked a couple time everyday, if it starts to look bad then I would really start to worry, but in all reality it looks pretty much ok right now!

Thanks... I'll just keep an eye on her then!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by