Is this to cold?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jesus freak, Dec 4, 2011.

1. jesus freak

jesus freak Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Idaho
    I have 4 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Leghorns, and 1 that I think is an amerucana and when I went to check the temrature inside of the coop it said about 30 F is this to cold for these breeds?

2. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    No. I have a BO and several EE's. The heater in the coop doesn't come on until it gets down to 20 (it turns off at 30). I use a ThermoCube (I think that is what it is called) and a SweeterHeater. I probably don't need it (they are wearing down jackets, after all), but I want to be more comfortable with their coop.

Quote:

3. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    To be honest,you are doing more harm than good if you put heat in the coop. Folks in Alaska and Canada don't heat their coops and it gets -40* or lower. The main thing is to have a solid,draft-free coop with plenty of ventilation high above the chickens and plenty of shaving/straw or other bedding they can lounge in. With their own down coats they will be fine.

Also,as others have pointed out in other threads, if you add heat to the coop and your birds get used to that temp what do you do when the power goes out? That can create serious problems at below freezing temps!

4. jesus freak

jesus freak Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Idaho
    Alright thanks you guys [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by