Is this too good to be true - ready to go fenced walk in run with predator prevention?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chicks4erin, Mar 17, 2012.

1. chicks4erin

chicks4erin Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Chicago Suburb
    I stumbled upon this site last night from another guy on here who posted about this company a couple years ago considering using one of this company's dog runs. It looks like they've since added chicken runs that have a predator prevention fence you can add that comes out on the bottom of the run. I was thinking the 4 x 8 with roof and predator prevention ($561) I know it's probably more expensive than what I could build it for, but the daunting task of building a WIR for a non-handy women was overwhelming. All you experts out there, am I missing something is there something wrong this this other than maybe too expenive? I was thinking of doing the "city biddy" coop and having it outside the fencing via the cut-out you can add to the fence. I also like the fact that it would be somewhat mobile if I wanted to change locations once in awhile.

Any thoughts, please.... I'm so excited to have found this.

http://www.chickencondos.com/Chicken Coops & Runs.html

2. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    I wonder if that flat roof above the run can support the wieght of the snow you may get in the winter?

3. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Those are nice looking coops and runs. Plans and kits are available too. Out of my price range though [​IMG]

4. tyjaco

tyjaco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Cloverdale, CA
    Wow. Those look pretty nice :)

5. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    I went to the city biddy coop website, http://www.ubuilderplans.com/node/5 , and the coop looks pretty good. If you are planning on building it yourself, or hiring someone to build it for you, I think you could also build your own run. I wasn't thrilled with the run you're looking at. They just look like overpriced cyclone fencing to me.

Another option if you don't want to hassle with building or hiring a builder, and you want everything included, is to look at the Eglu coops. They're a little pricey but if you can afford it I think you'd be happy. They get really good reviews from what I've read.

http://www.omlet.us/

6. chicks4erin

chicks4erin Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Chicago Suburb
    Thank you all for the comments. Funny you mention the Eglu. It actually crossed my mind to put the Eglu Go with this fence run too. It does seem that the people that have them do love them. However, there are a lot Eglu haters though. I love that it would be portable. What I don't like about the Eglu is the run, they seem to small. I would like a run I could stand up in and give the chicks more space. Which by putting the Go with the fence run, we'd be all set for some ladies sooner rather than later!

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    Sounds like a great idea. You'll definitely enjoy being able to walk into the run.

8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

A large dog could knock that over in one lunge. Too much money, too little room, too flimsy for true chicken use unless you already have sturdy, dog-proof fencing around your yard and just need protection from hawks. Of course, that's just my estimation...

9. ScottM

ScottM Chillin' With My Peeps

Goto your local high school, I'm sure they may have some students who may be able to build something for just the cost of materials.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by