Is This Too Many Eggs for a Single Broody Hen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by billygoat162, Mar 29, 2017.

1. billygoat162

billygoat162 Chirping

Apr 19, 2016
    American Southwest
    I got a box of Australorp eggs in the mail today to slip under my broody, and the seller was nice and included a few extra. Only now I have 15 eggs and one broody hen! She's a Welsummer, but a bit small for her breed. I gave her all 15 to see what she would do. I came back a few minutes later and found her like this. Should I take a few away? I don't know what to do with the rest, but I don't want to risk all of them not hatching from her moving them around.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  2. Rae Scott

Rae Scott In the Brooder

Feb 26, 2017
    Northeast Ohio
    She has that momma death glare going on.....

3. billygoat162

billygoat162 Chirping

Apr 19, 2016
    American Southwest
    Haha, she definitely does. She did not like me being near her eggs (the eggs I just gave her!). The funny thing is though, she won't peck me. She will peck the other hens but not me. I was able to feel behind her and the tips of the eggs are just barely sticking out in back too. I know they rotate their eggs, but I don't know if they move them around so different eggs will be near the outside edge at different times.

4. melissabc

melissabc In the Brooder

Jan 20, 2017
    Vance Alabama
    I had a small game hen sit on about 16 eggs once and she hatched them all ! I thought it was too much for her but she would NOT let me take any away haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by