1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is This Too Much " Frizzle " ???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickie Mamma, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, these little guys are 3-4 weeks old. I have 2 Frizzles and this one looks like it ran into live wire [​IMG] Is this going to be a bad gene or just a cool conversation piece? And if anyone can come up with a really great name for him/her, I would appreciate it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is its brother/sister...
    [​IMG]

This is both side by side...
    [​IMG]

And last but not least... these 2 guys are barred cochins. One is much larger and has much more "barring" than the other. Can the sex be determined this way?
    [​IMG]

This one is smaller and not so "barred"..
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for looking!!

2. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    OMG they're gorgeous!!! Now I want one of those too.... [​IMG]

3. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Looks like a normal Frizzle to me, but I've never actually owned one. Just seen pics. VERY cute though!

4. Nivrocco

Nivrocco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    S.W. VA
    Reminds me of Phyllis Diller..Too Cute!!

5. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Those are normal frizzles. I'll have pics of my sizzles (frizzle to silkie) later today and those have one who is over frizzed into the frazzle zone. In my group I have two smooth, one silkie feathered, and four that show normal frizzling/sizzling.

In your group the one with more frizz is just feathering out faster.

6. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    Way too much. Send it to me and I'll give it a loving home anyway...lol...The only thing I know is that your chicks are lovely. Please think about taking progressive pic's to make me wildly jealous as this bird grows.

7. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    I love posting pics, so everyone will see them "grow up". So would the one with the less "frizzle" be considered a "smooth" feathered? It definately has curling, but not like "super curly". After seeing pics of "frizzles" on here, I couldn't help myself! My hubby thinks its sick and dying. [​IMG] The kids thinks its cool but wierd. Silkies and Frizzles are the way to go!! [​IMG]

8. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:I am actually looking into making "sizzles". Genetics are not my strong point.. so anything you can share about breeding would be greatly appreciated! When I tell my hubby I want "sizzles" he thinks we are making them into dinner! [​IMG]

9. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    LOL Genetics aren't my strong suit either. What you need to do is go to Yahoo Groups and join the Sizzles group [​IMG] Sarah (Sarah's Sizzles) Jimnjay and Suze there are VERY helpful and it's a good place to learn all the weird breed specific stuff that go with the wonderful little critters.

I am totally in love with my silly foofoo chickens. They're very different and very sweet. My other chickens are boisterous LOUD and RUDE as babies. These make so much less noise and fuss I could totally see keeping one as a house pet. And well, if Absynth doesn't get stronger she is certainly going to spend a LOT of time in here with me. Just don't tell the other chickens.

I really like the way the sizzles not only tolerated but accepted the two week younger chicks I had to add to their brooder. Seeing Wrongway sitting on Gin's back yesterday just made me grin. And the others have been just as kind, letting the babies snuggle them and climb on them. Of course they're rude babies, they're my BAmutts and their mother is my wild child, Bear the hero chicken (fought a hawk to save another chicken).

10. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Thanks for recommending the group.. I think they are the sweetest chicks I have too. The barred ones are really sweet also. My kids have been handling them alot so they sit in my lap when I clean the cage. The frizzles do not get as "rowdy" as the others. This is my first time raising Frizzles and I am hooked! Thanks for the info.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by