Is this too small for a chicken tractor?

FrugalmamaTx

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2016
In your opinion, is a 6'x3' chicken tractor too small for 6 hens? Two may be roosters, in which case we would be going down to 5 as we'll rehome one. I had to scrap my plans for the coop & attached run that I was working on as I discovered when we get larger amounts of rain that part of the yard turns into a soggy mess. Going back to my original chicken tractor plan, and I would like it to fit on our garden beds which are approximately 6'x3'.

Would it be possible to make two of them and put 3 birds in each? They could still all see each other. That way they would still fit in the garden beds. If you don't want to split them up, you should go bigger.

Yes - too small for that number. And because of the size, do make sure you use wire with very small openings because there's no space for them to move out of the way if something reaches inside...

Would it be possible to make two of them and put 3 birds in each? They could still all see each other. That way they would still fit in the garden beds. If you don't want to split them up, you should go bigger.

They are a pretty bonded flock, so I hate to split them up.
Yes - too small for that number. And because of the size, do make sure you use wire with very small openings because there's no space for them to move out of the way if something reaches inside...

I'm using 1/2" hardware cloth - would that be small enough?

Will have to see what I can do - maybe I can make the tractor bigger than the beds so it goes over and gives a bit of space around.

Hardware cloth is good! Just didn't want a chicken head pulled through/neck gnawed through...
With two tractors "parked" right beside one another, they would be fine - as long as they can see one another it won't feel like being separated...and you wouldn't need to get rid of the second rooster (unless you're just wanting to downsize a roo).

6'x3' is too small for 6 chickens..

unless you want to make it 2 stories ?

i've yet to see a 2 stories one.. but it will be interesting to see one

some said 4-10sq ft per bird

it's plenty of space if compare to battery cages in factory farms.. but too small for backyard chickens

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom