Is this true about bantam roosters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FloridaChickenChick, May 25, 2008.

1. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    I fell in love with a little bantam hen yesterday, but she was only being sold as part of a pair. I do not want a rooster, only because I don't want the crowing disturbing my neighbors, who have always been great and I want to keep it that way.

The owner told me bantams don't crow as much and not as loud as standards. Is this true?

I never thought I wanted bantams but this little hen was adorable. <sigh> I think I've lost my mind. [​IMG]

2. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Well thats true to some...but, my silkie roos, when i had them crowed alot. Like every 5 min.

3. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    The crow and crow and crow.... I finally ate mine [​IMG]

4. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    Quote:I think that answers my question. Darn!

On behalf of my neighbors, thank you!

5. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

The bantam rooster I have crows some, a sickly sounding crow. Since the big rooster has beat him up so much he doesn't crow as much. I wouldn't recommend that as means of stopping crowing.

6. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    I'd give the little guy a chance. Some crow a lot and some crow a little, some are loud and some not so loud. Mine crow more when they are in the barn than when outside. My neighbors say they never here my roosters crow. If he becomes a problem, then find him a home.

7. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    mine crow alot but its not very loud

8. jakmallex

jakmallex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    Mine crows all day. It's not quiet either. He gets threatened with going into the crock pot every day.

9. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    I've found my OEGB.. Crows a bit more then my Other roosters i believe. but he isn't that loud really. so maybe if you kind of.. .Kept him in a muffled pen or something. the crowing wouldn't bother them?

10. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    depends ont eh personality of the roo...mine barely crows and it isnt to loujd. He is my only roo right now........he has been around other roos who crow all day but he has stayed consistent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by