Is this true on Plymouth Rock chickens ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JULIE L CORWIN, Jun 8, 2017.

1. JULIE L CORWIN

JULIE L CORWIN In the Brooder

May 17, 2017
    Just read that white Plymouth Rocks develope a downy like feather under thier original feathers for winter to keep them warmer in winter. That if heat lamps are used. They don't develope this. Also they don't live that long. They can't keep up with the body growing and they just basically drop over and die. I realize chickens die from diffrent things. Do barred rocks do the same thing? How long do they live?

sassysarah123 likes this.
  2. alexa009

alexa009 Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    I don't know if that is true. My Barred Rock is a year and very active. So is my white Plymouth rock. I have heard of barred rocks living up to 10 years.

3. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Crowing

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Are you sure you aren't thinking about Cornish cross meat birds? Never heard of white rocks being different from any other rocks.

aart, sassysarah123 and Ridgerunner like this.
  4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    Could you give a link to where you read that? I think Cindy nailed it, they are talking about the Cornish Rock, Conrish X, Cornish Cross (whatever you call them), a meat bird, totally different from regular Rocks.

5. sue25

sue25 Songster

Apr 25, 2017
    Hephzibah GA
    Thank goodness. I have 2 young barred rocks I hope they live for a long time.

6. sassysarah

sassysarah Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2017
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    X3

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    All birds have a downy coat under the outer feathers. The issue with heat lamps is that the birds don't get acclimated to the cold weather, so if you have a lamp failure, or a power outage, they are at extra risk from the cold. Heat lamps are also a fire hazard. Can I ask why you are considering a heat lamp for cold weather? I'm in zone 4, and never use heat UNLESS, the weather has been below 0*F (which it sometimes does for days and weeks on end), AND my birds are showing signs of hypothermia: not eating as much (when they should be eating more) and not moving much. Ventilation is important in the coop in both the warmest and the very coldest weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: