Is this true on Plymouth Rock chickens ?

JULIE L CORWIN

In the Brooder
May 17, 2017
Just read that white Plymouth Rocks develope a downy like feather under thier original feathers for winter to keep them warmer in winter. That if heat lamps are used. They don't develope this. Also they don't live that long. They can't keep up with the body growing and they just basically drop over and die. I realize chickens die from diffrent things. Do barred rocks do the same thing? How long do they live?

Could you give a link to where you read that? I think Cindy nailed it, they are talking about the Cornish Rock, Conrish X, Cornish Cross (whatever you call them), a meat bird, totally different from regular Rocks.

Are you sure you aren't thinking about Cornish cross meat birds? Never heard of white rocks being different from any other rocks.

Could you give a link to where you read that? I think Cindy nailed it, they are talking about the Cornish Rock, Conrish X, Cornish Cross (whatever you call them), a meat bird, totally different from regular Rocks.
X3

All birds have a downy coat under the outer feathers. The issue with heat lamps is that the birds don't get acclimated to the cold weather, so if you have a lamp failure, or a power outage, they are at extra risk from the cold. Heat lamps are also a fire hazard. Can I ask why you are considering a heat lamp for cold weather? I'm in zone 4, and never use heat UNLESS, the weather has been below 0*F (which it sometimes does for days and weeks on end), AND my birds are showing signs of hypothermia: not eating as much (when they should be eating more) and not moving much. Ventilation is important in the coop in both the warmest and the very coldest weather.

Back
Top Bottom