Is this true

cms1113

Songster
10 Years
Feb 2, 2009
DE
Everyone keeps telling me that i need a rooster for my hens to lay eggs. But I thought you only needed a rooster if you wanted fertile eggs.

You are correct. A rooster will give you fertilized eggs; pullets/hens will lay regardless of having a rooster.

Really, it's just the plain old facts of life. A hen ovulates without a rooster just like a woman ovulates without a man. I always wonder why people would ever believe that a hen wont lay without a rooster--doesn't make any sense at all.

Nope, sure doens't. I'm with ya, Cyn. It's basic biology.
smile.png

The next time someone tells you this, ask them if they think factory egg laying operations have a rooster in every tiny crowded compartment!

I get asked that all the time too! Even my MIL!

Here one for you... My son came home and said his friends don't believe him that a rooster is a chicken! He went back after checking with me and told them they were wrong! One boy checked with a teacher who disagreed with my son!
smack.gif

Oh! This drives me nuts! I've used both replies of "well, don't you still ovulate if you don't have a boyfriend?" and "do you think the chickens at the egg factories have roos stuffed in those little cages with them?"

Whoever started this rumor is a jerk.

Back
Top Bottom