Is this true????

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by texaschickmama, Mar 24, 2009.

1. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I was in Tractor Supply Co and we were just looking at the chicks and ducks. The girl working there said you have to buy 6 at a time and that they would need my address, Driver's License, phone number and everything to get the chicks. She said it's because of the bird flu. I said do we even have the bird flu in the US? She said yes and the manager walked by then and said yes in Gonzales and El Paso. I said, oh really, the Avian Flu is in the US? He said yes.

DID I MISS SOMETHING? WOULDN'T THIS BE ALL OVER THE NEWS?

2. jonesgirl

jonesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Nevada
    Yikes, did they spill the beans or what?
    hopefully the CIA doesn't come raid their store because they told [​IMG]

That is a little scary!

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I'm SOOOOO going to the CDC to look at this....

4. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    You may want to print some of this out and take it to the store or share it with the management of TSC Headquarters. I think that's wrong of them, unless your state has ordered it via the Dept. of Health and Enviro. or something.

Looks like Gonzales was in 2004...and it's not the strain that affects humans!!

"The H5N2 strain in Texas is a different subtype of influenza A than the virus affecting parts of Asia . The H5N1 outbreaks among poultry in Asia have been associated with human cases in Thailand and Vietnam . There is no epidemiologic link between the H5N1 virus in Asia and the H5N2 virus in Texas."

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avian/professional/possible-exposure.htm

There's a specific Q & A page on CDC's site: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avian/outbreaks/current.htm

We have a small flock of chickens. Is it safe to keep them?
    Yes. In the United States there is no need at present to remove a flock of chickens because of concerns regarding avian influenza. The U.S. Department of Agriculture monitors potential infection of poultry and poultry products by avian influenza viruses and other infectious disease agents.

For additional information about avian influenza visit pandemicflu.gov.

Here's a CDC graph indicating there has never been an H5N1 bird flu incident in the US.

http://www.oie.int/downld/AVIAN INFLUENZA/Graph HPAI/graphs HPAI 16_03_2009.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2009
  5. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    so theres different types the way I am reading that, still that could still be turned into a scare of some sort I suppose.

6. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Righto! I edited my above post to put more info on there...

7. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Thanks guys. I knew that guy was full of poop. I'll have to call and tell him to stop scaring people.

8. idealpoultry

idealpoultry Official BYC Community Sponsor

Sep 25, 2007
    Cameron, TX
    No, there is not currently Avian Flu in Texas. If everyone would please contact your local TSC and tell them to stop spreading mis informaiton it would be helpful. If you do not get results there, please contact their corporate offices. There is no need to scare people.

Thanks,

Teri Adcox
    Ideal Poultry

9. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Thank goodness my neighbors would never go near a TSC or such. They would have the health dept on my door step in a heartbeat if they were told something like that.
    Fear mongers are just so great to have around. [​IMG]

Hey Teri!
    The girls I bought from you guys all last year are doing GREAT! Happy, healthy and friendly. We love them

10. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    There are at least 2 other threads about this very topic. I know because I started one of them. [​IMG]

Anyway, our TSC had the same signs up when we stopped in to get some food (no chicks at the time) but when I went back later in the week and bought chicks I wasn't asked for any information. [​IMG] but I didn't bring it up. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by