Is this true?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by treldib, Jul 9, 2010.

1. treldib

treldib Songster

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:Sounds a bit strange to me....

2. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Songster

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    I'd have to say, no way. And if it is possible--it has to be some kind of man-made creature, not something that would ever occur naturally.

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I wouldnt believe it unless I was a witness to a DNA test. Although a female duck can be "fertilized" by a rooster- the embryo can not develope. I cant remeber exactly where I have read about some results of this happening..But from memory the egg will develope for around 72 hours before dying due to the difference in genetics between chickens and ducks. With science and technology what it is today- I would not 100% discount the theory...but as I said- I would not believe it until I personally saw the results of DNA testing.

I will see if I can track down the article.

4. treldib

treldib Songster

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
  6. NYRIR

NYRIR Songster

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    That is ENTIRELY creepy! I'm glad I have normal pets...or normal looking anyway [​IMG]

7. bock

bock Songster

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    [​IMG] They have 2 heads! And 6 legs! And mixed up feet! AAAHHHHH!!! [​IMG]

8. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I would doubt that chickens and such can cross with water fowl. But like they said, it you look on feather site you will see Chickens X Guineas ( one of our members here had on of these to hatch) Guineas X Peafowl, Chickens X Pheasants, Chickens X Turkeys, Chickens X Quail. Some may have been done artificially but it is possible.

And if you did get a rooster with your ducks, He would be common for hime to mount the ducks, but a very slim to no chance of any offspring coming from it.

9. Bossroo

Bossroo Songster

Jun 15, 2008
    That is nothing new. At the UCDavis Veterinary School museum there are quite a few similar 2 headed, mutilegged specimens dating back to the early1950's when the Vet school was first established. I personally enbalmed a 2 headed new born kitten there back in 1966. At the UCD Anatomy Dept., Matilda the 7 toed cat,( she was their mascot and kept all the stored bones and preserved specimens' boxes in the storage warehouse rooms mouse free) produced 2 litters a year of 7-9 toes on each leg kittens throughout the 1960s. All of these kittens were adopted by the Vet students. While in high school, I worked for Dr. Gregory at UCD Animal Sciences dept. where he had a herd of about a 100 dwarf cattle with every gross skeleton and muscular malformation emaginable in the late 1950's. Many had so severe malformations ( heads as big as basketballs, off set eyes, ,2 mouths, 5-6 legs , severly deformed vertebras, etc.) that the only way they could be born was with C- sections which I assisted in. I have personally seen several dozen live chicks to adults == chicken x pheasant and turkey x pheasant birds at the UCD Avian Sciences dept. in the early 1960's. They had a crossbreeding project to see if these crossbreds could be of commercial use... while quite a few eggs had early developing embryos, most didn't hatch, so not of any commercial interest. That was at a time when the genetic engineering wasn't even possible.

10. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Songster

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:Here's a quote from that website:
    We can dismiss the fact that there has been some kind of cross-breeding here because veterinary experts say that it is impossible for chicken and ducks to breed.

So, going back to the OP's question, chickens and ducks cannot cross-breed. They will engage in....sexual behavior though, but it won't produce a freaky little chicken x duck cross...would that be called a "Duckin"? [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by