Is this true?

kathydoolittle

Songster
10 Years
Dec 14, 2009
Pittsburg KS
I was reading up on Pekin ducks and they say they rarely set on there nest. I have one (lily) she has been setting for some time now. I told my hubby to mark the date, but of course he didn't. She has kicked a couple eggs out, and is setting on 6 or 7. She rarely gets off the nest and if she does its only for a couple minutes. So I have not been able to check them. I worry about her and the eggs as it has been so hot. Do you think they will hatch I think its past 30 days shes been setting hard on them. I keep telling myself not to worry about them she knows if there good or bad, but does she? I try to keep food and water close to her cause some days she does not get off her nest at all. I would love to have some babies, what do you think. Is feeding them bread for special treats ok?

006.jpg

This is my Lily before she started setting.
love.gif

Who is the daddy. One of the Muscovy in the picture? If yes then the eggs will take longer to hatch. Just remember that all the off springs will be mules, mean they are sterile and can not reproduce.

if the hen was a muscovy, it would take 5 weeks to hatch, but since she is a pekin, she should hatch at the normal 28 days. at least thats what holderread wrote in storeys guide.

Only if the hen and the drake are both Pekin ducks then it would be 28 days. If the hen is a Pekin and the drake a Muscovy then it will be longer. The photo shows the Pekin hen and two Muscovy ducks right next to her. That's why I asked who the daddy is.

Last edited:
She just got off nest long enough to candle her eggs last night 5 good eggs out of 7. And yes my muscovy drake is the one that breed her, but I will love them the same if even if they won't be able to reproduce.
smile.png

It has to do with the genetic markup of both breeds. Muscovies are not mallard deprived and their genes are close but not the same. They are close enough for breeding, just not close enough for a good set of genes in their offspring.

Differing chromosome numbers cause something to be left out in the "sex" department. Everything else works fine.

Back
Top Bottom