Is this true?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by k&c poultry, Jul 6, 2011.

1. k&c poultry

k&c poultry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2011
    NJ
    I have some hens laying on some eggs in the nesting box that are fresh layed if they are laying on them does that mean they ate fertile eggs they lay on them quite a bit and get off for food and water????

2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    The eggs may be fertile if you have a rooster- you must have a rooster to mate with your hens and fertilize the eggs. Hens will go broody and sit on any eggs- even if they are not fertilized. Hope this has helped!

3. blkwdw

blkwdw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    sorry, setting on the eggs does not mean they are fertile, just means the hen is ready to be a mommy.. [​IMG]
    If you have a rooster, they may be fertile...

4. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Unfortunately, it does not mean they are fertile just because they are laying on them. What it means is they are broody. If you don't have a rooster and they haven't been around a rooster before they laid those eggs you can be fairly certain they are not fertile. If there is a possibility they are fertile, somewhere around 7-10 days you can check progress by candeling. If you search this site there are some recommended methods of candeling and what you should be looking for.

5. k&c poultry

k&c poultry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2011
    NJ
    Thanks a lot but yeah I have 3 roosters with about 15 hens

6. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Hens and other female birds will sit on all kinds of egg-shaped or round objects of the approximately correct size. Golf balls, ceramic eggs, plastic eggs with a bit of something inside for weight all are used as substitutes for the real thing at times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by