Is this true?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Starlight 451, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Starlight 451

Starlight 451 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    I heard that if a hen saw you collecting the eggs, she won't lay in that place anymore.
    So I always wait until the flock is eating before I venture into the coop. [​IMG]

2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    No. Chickens are creatures of habit and will pick a favourite spot to lay in and will keep using it.

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    LOL NO she'll be back.

4. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    LOL![​IMG] you seriously did that![​IMG]
    nah, they dont care. but that is funny! (sorry [​IMG])

5. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

You know I always wondered the same thing but apparently they aren't quite smart enough to realize that the spot you are collecting the eggs from isn't a 'safe' place to lay their eggs. Our hens have their favorite nests and I collect the eggs right in front of them and it hasn't deterred them yet.

6. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I grab them from under the chooks bum while they're still warm some days, and she squawks in disgust but still lays there the next day.

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Quote:I throw them a handful of scratch feed when I collect the eggs just so I don't have to deal with chickens around my feet. My gals will lay in any nest box they want. They may use the same one for a week or mix and match for several days at a time.

8. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] That's funny.
    The nettles are so intense in our garden they don't actually bother to climb through after me to the coop.

(Silky, you're so nasty... [​IMG] Don't be mean to newbies! [​IMG])

9. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    ray's two cents :

Quote:[​IMG] That's funny.
    The nettles are so intense in our garden they don't actually bother to climb through after me to the coop.

(Silky, you're so nasty... [​IMG] Don't be mean to newbies! [​IMG])

its just so funny![​IMG] sorry starlight [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  10. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    I grinned when I read your post! Okay, I'll admit I lol'd. [​IMG] I take eggs right out from under my chickens if I have an egg order that I need to fill right away. Some of my hens will growl but most of them shift to accommodate my intrusion and go right on laying and they ALWAYS come back. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by