Is this typical molting for a 15 week old?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Twinklin, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Twinklin

Twinklin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2013
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My Coop
    My BSL has lost most of her tail feathers. She had a nice beautiful full tail and now she's down to only a few feathers. I've never been through a molt and since they're still pre-egg laying I didn't really expect them to molt much this year. For the most part the molting I've noticed on the others has been very minimal so far. I have seen pictures of some very drastic molts and know losing a chunk of tail feathers is no where near what a molt could be, but wanted to make sure this was normal since she's so young and she hasn't really lost feathers anywhere else that I can tell.

Taken today
    [​IMG]

This was what she looked like before, about 2 weeks ago.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, this is quite normal. [​IMG] Chickens go through three molts before they get their adult feathers. Often times, they will drop lots of feathers at once (even more than what your bird is experiencing!).

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  3. Twinklin

Twinklin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2013
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My Coop
    Thanks. I had assumed it was just a molt but I'm a paranoid new chicken mom.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yep. Just a juvenile molt, nothing to worry about. She's growing in her big girl feathers.

5. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    It's not really a "molt", it's more like loosing baby teeth. Pullets start to get their bigger "adult" sized feathers around this age. Its more pronounced with some birds than with others but you can expect to start seeing lots of feathers floating around you coop and yard.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by