is this typical?

karinkess

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 30, 2012
Hi, I have ten, 15 week old chickens. I am new to the backyard chicken world - love them - but wanted to know if it is normal that each night they all sleep/cram in one nesting box. They have a large coop with six boxes, we live in CT and temps have been around mid 30's to 40 at night. When they start to lay will they know that they do so in the nesting box and when will they eventually sleep on the roost? Is there anything I can do or is this normal?

Hi, I have ten, 15 week old chickens. I am new to the backyard chicken world - love them - but wanted to know if it is normal that each night they all sleep/cram in one nesting box. They have a large coop with six boxes, we live in CT and temps have been around mid 30's to 40 at night. When they start to lay will they know that they do so in the nesting box and when will they eventually sleep on the roost? Is there anything I can do or is this normal?
mine all go in the same box also. I think its for comfort and warmth

They do like to snuggle tight together at night, both for warmth and safety. (in nature, they would look more like one very large bird instead of lots of weak little birds).

However, at that age they should be on the roost. Is the roost where its easy for them to jump up, and comfortable for them to grip onto? Try placing them up there during the day to get them used to it. If one goes, others will follow.

I will try and place them on roost tomorrow. Unbelievable how they all cram into one nesting box and do appear as one! Also fascinating how they stick together during the day free ranging. They really need each other. Thanks:)

I think mine were about that old when I got them to roost.
I started with it closer to the ground and attached a ladder.
I was taming mine so I would go in during the day and encourage them to go up by tapping the ladder and temping with treats and just putting them up there. once they got used to going up and down in the day they just pretty much did it themselves at night.
raised it higher as they got bigger and able to fly.

Back
Top Bottom