Is This Usual Chicken Behavior? Lovin' It! Chickens Putting Selves to bed in Their Own Coops

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Eggscoozme, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Eggscoozme

Eggscoozme Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2014
    Michigan
    Hi!

I have 4 different chicken coops (to house over 51 chickens and 2 ducks) since I want to breed some of my chickens, I keep them separated from the others.

What I'm grateful for is that when I free range all at the same time, they go into their correct coops at night by themselves (except ONE hen - she must be a black sheep ha ha).

Is this usual chicken behavior?

On another note, what is the likelihood that when I let all of them out together, they will only breed with their own kind?

1 person likes this.
  2. HannahDuckLover

HannahDuckLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    By the jungle
    Hello,

That's normal for chickens, but not for ducks. Chickens like being in a coop for the night, and it's easy to train them to go in themselves. Ducks, on the other hand, like staying outside – but it's possible to train them, as well.

They will probably crossbreed.

--Hannah

1 person likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You must have 'homed' them well to their respective coops.

If you want pure breeds, or certain crosses, you'll need to coop the hens and cocks separate from all the rest for 2-3 weeks to ensure the mating you want.

4. Eggscoozme

Eggscoozme Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2014
    Michigan
    I'm not sure what you mean by keeping them separate for 2-3 weeks. I do have the breeds I want to breed in separate coops for nighttime. For example, one of the coops has crested cream legbars in it including 1 roo. When I let ALL my chickens out of their respective coops, to free range, they go back to their OWN coop at night. My Bielefelder's, and Lavender Orps do the same as well as my big layer flock.

It took a couple of weeks for this to occur.

The ducks always went into their respective coop @ night that is in with the layer flock bunch.

They all be tucked in by 9:30 lately. :)

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

2 people like this.
  6. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    For the most part, chickens, like most animals, are creatures of habit. Unless a problem arises within their home coop, they will go to roost in the same coop every night. So this behavior is not surprising. I know nothing about ducks, so I can't help you there.

7. MysteriaSdrassa

MysteriaSdrassa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2015
    Central Wisconsin
    what aart said,,, roosters don't breed at night in the dark,,, they do it during the day when out and about

i would like to point out that if one of your ducks is a drake,, he too, may just try to breed your chickens,, if he does, he will have to be penned seperatly,, duck anatomy is much different than chickens and can hurt the chickens

8. sssharon

sssharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2014
    Aart, it looks to me like you have a lot of chickens and that you would be a person that I could ask a question. All of a sudden the last three days I have had three or four eggs underneath my chicken coop. I have a chicken that I think is Broody. She stays in the coop for long periods of time. I'm wondering if she is taking eggs from the other nests and stashing them underneath the coop. I have a large coop with egg boxes in it and then I have a small coupe that I started out with. Is that possible that she is doing that? Have you ever had that happen before?

9. Plant City Newb

Plant City Newb Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2016
    Plant City, FL
    We're still working on this. I'm personally getting a little tired of the chicken rodeo every evening. I tried treats and that worked (3 out of 4 birds) the first night. Next night, nothing. We tried the flashlight tonight but we were nearby and it didn't work. Plus it was started getting cold so we went rodeo. Tomorrow, we're going to put the flashlight in the coop and leave them alone for a bit of time and see if that works. They know how to get in the coop. Staying in the coop is another matter. One day I'm hoping that this will not be a two-man job.

10. Plant City Newb

Plant City Newb Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2016
    Plant City, FL
    Three days now we've been using a small light (one of those round lights you push on and off-generally for closets) and all of the girls have been going into the coop or standing on the walkway into the coop to be shooed around dark. Thank goodness I read that tip. No chicken rodeo for three days! Yea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by