1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is This VA Law True?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickaroo!, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    I called a man today that has a chicken farm in Goochland, VA. He said that if I were to buy chicks, it's a VA law that you have to buy at least 6 so that they'll keep each other warm, I guess on their way to their new home. Has anyone in VA heard this before? Is this true?

2. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I'm right by Goochland. Are you having them shipped? I can't say I've heard of the law, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

3. AussieSharon

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
  4. Chickaroo!

Dec 27, 2007
    No, I was going to just go and pick them up. I'm only about 40min. from there.

5. Chickaroo!

Dec 27, 2007
    Thanks AussieSharon! I was a little suspicious, but I guess it is so. BTY, my name is Sharon too! [​IMG]

6. TundraChick

TundraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    This law seems to be an attempt to discourage parents from getting chicks as a pet for a child. Weird and obscure.

7. AussieSharon

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    GREAT name!! Margaret will be posting more info about a swap on April 12th in Sussex County. Maybe if you don't want 6 you could bring the extras.

I'm a little confused as to how they can make sure people sell in quantaties of 6 or more, especially when I'm in Powhatan and I can get just 1 chick from my feedstore.

Well there must be somthing to it. I just called the Tractor Supply store in Midlothian and they said min purchase of chicks is 6

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  8. Sunny Chook Farm

Sunny Chook Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    See you got your answer..
    even at the auctions any chicks or ducklings 8 wks or younger have to be sold in lots of 6....

9. Chickaroo!

Dec 27, 2007
    I agree, how can that be regulated? Anyway, the closest Tractor Supply to me is in Mechanicsville and they are not getting their chicks until next week, MAYBE. They really don't know when they're coming or what hatchery is sending them. At least the girl I talked to didn't know.
    I'd love the info. on the swap/meet in April!

10. AussieSharon

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    What breed are you wanting? I talked to Margaret early today and she was waiting on a call for the final details of the swap meet. I'm sure she will post as soon as she knows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by