Is this vent gleet? Graphic photo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Stacyc, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Stacyc

Stacyc Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2013
    Hi, one of my 9 month old speckled showed signs of lethargy yesterday. Brought her in, noticed this, it was a lot more ickey, this is after the warm soaking for 20 min in e salt.
    Butt area still looks the same this AM, drinking and eating okay. Is this vent gleet?[​IMG]

She seems uncomfortable when I try to massage her underbelly, it feels very hard, can eggs get backed up? I am pretty sure she haven't laid an egg in a few days. Any imput is appreciated.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Her vent looks prolapsed, and she could be egg bound (or not.) Give her some calcium--Tums, a calcium table crushed, ground egg shell. etc.) Get a rubber glove, and gently feel inside the vent 1-2 inches for a stuck egg. If no egg is felt, then try to push the pink tissue back inside, and apply some honey or Preparation H ointment inside and outside the vent. Here is a link to read:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms.html
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html

3. Stacyc

Aug 27, 2013
    Thanks for replying. Yes, I have read that post a fees times in my studies on this, they both look similar to this, my first thought also was egg bound or not. Then I reread about vent gleet, had forgotten about that one as their are so many different potential issues. She seems the same as yesterday.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She could have vent gleet on top of this, but her cloaca is slightly prolapsed, and her vent is dilated. I would really think she either has an egg stuck in there or she is severely constipated. Probiotics and antifungal medications would help control vent gleet, but right now she may need a dose of calcium, and a warm shallow soak for 30 minutes to help pass an egg. Can you do the vent exam? It's very easy.

5. Stacyc

Aug 27, 2013
    I am not thrilled about doing a vent exam but any living creature under my care I will do everything I can for them. So I will suck it up and do it. She is looking worse today. Will give another soak and do what needs to be done. I really hope this works. She is such a sweet little hen, very social and must investigate everything. My new chicken kingdom has turned into a nightmare this year. Three bumblefoot surgeries and now this. I went to huge lengths to make everything smooth, no sharp anything anywhere. I am guessing pine needles are puncturing their feet. It just goes to show you no matter how much you read or how well prepared you think you are real life application always gives you a wake up call. Thanks for your help.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Do not bath a sick chicken! Cowgirl up and check for an egg. If you can feel the egg, give her a tums or human calcium pill, fill your bathroom with lot s of steam and stick her in there and see if she can pass the egg. Is she pooping?

Checking for an egg is easy... Put on glove, KY Jelly, *gently* insert finger and check for egg. If it's there it can usually be felt no more than an inch in. Be very gentle, sometimes they have soft ones, or ones still forming shells in the uterus. These pictures should help you visualize where an egg should be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

7. Stacyc

Aug 27, 2013
    Yes, excellent diagram. Did as you suggested and steamed up the bathroom quite nicely. I cannot get my lubed finger in there. Very solid mass right at opening. Looks like the consistency of a hard boiled egg yolk. She is pooping, although the poo is skinny and flat. Tried the syringe of oil in there as well. It just came back out. She is contracting quite a bit. This really sucks. If I have no improvement tomorrow I will see if one of my vets will see her. No one works on chickens but mabe that has changed. [​IMG]. Photo of today

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That looks like hardened pus or a tumor. Can you try picking a little away? If it looks like this, it's pus.
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Kathy, you have so much more experience with this sort of thing, but could it be a lash egg or product of internal laying blocking the vent? Several people have posted about finding those inside the vent of chickens they have necropsied, while some chickens have passed those. I've not seen it in my chickens before. I would be tempted to try digging it out very gently.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You know me, lol, I'd be digging away! Only downside would be if it's a tumor, but days are numbered then anyways, so I would see if I could get it out.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by