Is this vent gleet? [PICTURES]

Mar 9, 2022
This rooster has been acting very lethargic, breathing strange, underweight, eating less, drinking less, always laying down. He has bumblefoot. Checked his vent and wondering If this is vent gleet? Tried to check his eyes and they seem really red
20221022_182301.jpg
20221022_182252.jpg
20221022_182129.jpg

Is his crop full and not emptying? It's very ususual for a rooster to have vent gleet. Vent gleet causes redness of the skin and the discharge often smells very unpleasant. It doesn't look like vent gleet to me, but he could have a crop issue. Do you know how to tell? https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

What state? Not all states permit the ordering of antibiotics online. Most states do, and it's an easy way of buying them. It's not a bad idea to go ahead an order an antibiotic even if this time he may not require it. It can save a life by getting a very sick chicken started on it immediately instead of waiting a week for it to be delivered.

Is his crop full and not emptying? It's very ususual for a rooster to have vent gleet. Vent gleet causes redness of the skin and the discharge often smells very unpleasant. It doesn't look like vent gleet to me, but he could have a crop issue. Do you know how to tell? https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

What state? Not all states permit the ordering of antibiotics online. Most states do, and it's an easy way of buying them. It's not a bad idea to go ahead an order an antibiotic even if this time he may not require it. It can save a life by getting a very sick chicken started on it immediately instead of waiting a week for it to be delivered.
He does have a very foul smell to him, like yeast ar least his face does. His vent doesn't smell as yeasty. Just gross. It's hard to tell if his crop is emptying he isn't eating a lot. Each morning he has a few droppings on his crate so wouldn't that mean that it is emptying?

Did you read my article on how to diagnose a crop disorder? You need to check the crop in the morning before her eats or drinks to get an accurate idea how well the crop is emptying. it should be empty in the morning. If not, he has a crop issue. My article also helps you determine what crop issue her has. They are treated differently.

Just because he poops doesn't mean he has no crop issue. Even when a chicken is starving, they poop.

Back
Top Bottom