Is this weed safe to feed to chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nova022, Mar 5, 2013.

1. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    My yard is being taken over by a viney weed. I would like to turn my chickens loose on it, but I do not know what it is or if it is safe for them to eat. When you pull it, it smells similar to a morning glory vine but not as strong. Although it has tendrils, it does not wrap itself tightly and is easy to remove from the plant it is smothering. Does anyone here know the answers to my quandry?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. nova022

Aug 3, 2012
    any idea what this might be?

3. mscallisto

mscallisto Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2012
    Kinda looks like bind weed. Mine have eaten it and are fine. If they manage to kill it off that's great because if it is bind weed it is very hard if not impossible to get rid of. I'd see if they even like it. Seems whatever I'd like my girls to eradicate they decide isn't yummy.

4. nova022

Aug 3, 2012
    Thanks. This is a very fast growing weed and smothers other plants quickly even though it is very small. I sure hope my girls like it.

5. cinch920

cinch920 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Central Nebraska
    I think your birds would be just fine. Hope they get rid of it for you as well!

6. nova022

Aug 3, 2012
    Thanks. It sounds like you are living my dream. I would love to live on a ranch away from the city. [​IMG]

7. cinch920

cinch920 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Central Nebraska
    haha its been alot of fun and i have alot of learning to do still! calving season is underway!

8. sunnyboy2

sunnyboy2 New Egg

Feb 23, 2013
    Take a sample to the local extension office, or send the photos in an email. The university of wyoming extension office manager walked a field with me identifying plants when I put a bee hive in. Helped me look up the pollen and neater ratings. All states with a land grant university should have an office. Other schools may also help. or finding a local Master Gardner. Then you will know for sure.

9. nova022

Aug 3, 2012
    I have had emails going back and forth with the county extension office, they could not identify the plant at all. I sent them the above pictures and a lengthy description of the plant and its habits. They have forwarded it to the agriculture department at UF to see if they could identify it, but I have not heard back from them. I will take a sample into the extension office on my next day off. Sometimes actually seeing a plant helps and this one has a strange smell that might help identify it.

10. sunnyboy2

sunnyboy2 New Egg

Feb 23, 2013
    Looks like I overcharged for my free advise. Lol. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by