is this weird advice to stop a rooster from crowing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MrViskers, Apr 17, 2012.

1. MrViskers

MrViskers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Australia
    [​IMG]so i asked a local farmer if he has rooster that dont crow that much and he straight away guesses that i am a city folk that wants to breed poultry so i need a rooster and he was exactly right..... here comes the weird part he takes me out to his pens where he keeps his roosters and picks out this healthy looking rooster and tells me if i want it to stop crowing he gave me a little trick he learned when he was growing up in Greece.. he told me that to stop a rooster crowing you should get olive oil and slather it all around the comb of the rooster and than dab a finger of oil up its (you know what)[​IMG] . i found this kind of bizzare and i for sure dont want to try this out. anyone ever heard of this??

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sooo, you believed that? I don't laugh at newbie questions, but this guy is pulling your leg.........Pop

3. MrViskers

May 15, 2011
    Australia
    haha yeah i guess i tried not to laugh at the guy

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Strange indeed! I wonder how he came to this theory and how often he tested it out. Lets say that I am skeptical.

5. MrViskers

May 15, 2011
    Australia
    At the time he was telling me I believed the comb bit just by the serious look on his face and when it came to the other part, I knew that it seemed dodgy. [​IMG]

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I hate it when people mis-inform newcomers, especially on purpose. Yeah he was being a jerk, don't ever go back to him, or give him money. Being disrespectful of your customers is a bad business model.

The short story here is that roosters crow, and there's very little you can do to stop them. Maybe you can find a breeder who is willing to have one of your hens penned with one of their roos on their property for a week. If they collect the eggs from the isolated couple, you'll have your babies :).

1 person likes this.
  7. SuperSingh

SuperSingh New Egg

May 17, 2014
    Has it wor ked yet anyone?

8. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    Was his rooster crowing?!! I guess you never know?!! Hahaha! Crowing is what makes a rooster a rooster!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by