1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this weird?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ethridgechixs, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Ethridgechixs

Ethridgechixs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    I am new to raising Chickens and Have a cluch of 7 chickens that include 6 pullets and a rooster. I have 1 Barred Plymouth Rock, 2 rhode Island Reds, 2 Black stars(I think) and a Red Star. I have had them for 20 weeks tomorrow and I got my first egg yesterday and then another today.
    I don't know who laid the first egg but I caught pullet responsible for todays egg in the act. It was one of my RIR. so I am thinking either the first egg came from the Other RIR or the same pullet that laid todays egg.

What seems weird to me is that I thought my Red and Black stars would be my first to lay. I was under the impression that they would start between 16-22 weeks and the RIR would start until 22-25 weeks.
    My RIR seem to have much more defined combs but the Red star has a pretty defined comb too. the black stars however don't really have any comb to speak of yet.
    Do you think my RIR are not true RIR and some other breed or did I miss something?
    Thanks for the help.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The RIR's are most likely Production Reds. Your sex links will probably start up very soon.

3. Ethridgechixs

Oct 31, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    Do you think the black Star's will lay soon too even though they don't seem as mature as the Red star? They only just barely have a comb and it's very light colored?

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If their comb is light colored and around their eye is not red, they are not ready yet. When they turn from pink to red, both in comb and around the eye, then they are close.

5. Ethridgechixs

Oct 31, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    Their combs are pink and around their eyes is red.

6. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Ethridgechix-

Hi and WELCOME to the forum. Big Congratulations on your first eggs.

Sometimes it is really hard to figure out who's egg is who's. It does sound like your chickens are going to defy the books and lay their first eggs on a little different schedule. As Happy Chooks said, your RIR's may have additional genetics to pure RIR chickens, depending upon where you obtained them.

After a while, you may be able to tell which chicken produced which egg by some subtle differences that you notice in egg color. On the day when you have one for each chicken you will know that they are all producing. eggs. :O)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by