Is this wet pox?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Franzoo, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Franzoo

Franzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    [​IMG]

2. Franzoo

May 8, 2016
    I have a mild outbreak of dry fowl pox with some chickens. Nothing in mouths except "Chewy". I'm not sure if this is normal in his mouth. Little scab like spots on either side of "tounge". He's a silkie/cochin bantam. 6 months old.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That could be the diphtheritic or wet form of pox. Make sure that he is getting plenty to eat and drink. Have a look farther back in his throat, since wet pox can affect the sinuses, throat, trachea, esophagus, and crop. I would consider perhaps treating him with some Oxytetracycline or Tylan antibiotic to help prevent a secondary infection. Another problem to consider and watch for would be canker, but since you have dry pox, it may just be wet pox. Here is some reading:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/195/fowl-pox/
    http://www.hyline.com/aspx/redbook/redbook.aspx?s=5&p=35
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/poultry/fowlpox/fowlpox_in_chickens_and_turkeys.html
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/07/fowl-pox-prevention-treatment.html

4. Franzoo

May 8, 2016
    Thank you Eggcessive. Ive' been going crazy, checking,treating my bunch. I'm Keeping fingers crossed and prayers I don't loose any. It was very strange I only had one that had visible dry pox. 2 others wet with definite respiratory infection. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] from what I've read, I'm in for a bumpy ride.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Hopefully, you have discovered the problem in time, but please update us on their condition in a few days. This is a good article from TheChickenVetUK about canker, just to rule that out:

Oral Canker

[​IMG]
    Canker is a condition mostly associated with pigeons and is caused by a tiny parasite called trichomonas. This parasite is often spread through contaminated drinking water. The parasite causes a ‘yellow button’ of pus to form in your bird’s mouth. This can stop your bird from eating normally leading to weight loss.

[​IMG]
    What to look for

• Weight loss
    • Birds picking up food then dropping it
    • A cheese-like plaque in your birds mouth (see photo)
    • A reluctance to eat
    Treatment

Treating canker or suspected canker is a job for a vet who will likely prescribe an anti-parasitic medication.
    Prevention

Ensure that your birds' drinking water is changed daily. Try to keep the drinkers in the chicken house to discourage wild birds from sharing your birds’ water.

Another article about wet pox:

[​IMG]

6. Franzoo

May 8, 2016
    Eggcessive, I'm going nuts.(nuttier) lol! I'm not sure now which it is? I only have the one that looks like it could be dry pox but two ( no signs of dry pox) that have small stuff in mouth. This morning cleaning (as I do every morning) noticed one had dropped a load of worms. Ugh!!! They are in a completely covered run (due to tons of predators). I clean every day. But.. I did notice my 5 gal. Water buckets, the water smelled rancid and had slime (as I didn't clean till it for 4 daystraight ( till it was low) At a loss here. I thought I was super clean? [​IMG] Could they get canker from rancid water? There are no wild birds drinking from their water or, in their pen.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  7. Franzoo

May 8, 2016
    Eggcessive, thank you again! I wouldn't have known about canker without your knowledge. Felling very thankful for this site[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by