is this what broody looks like?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by muddipuppy, Jan 21, 2010.

1. muddipuppy

muddipuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Mountain View, CA
    my 7+ month silkie has been in egg laying position for about 7 hours. we kind of poked at her and she made a sound like she didn't like it. is this what going broody looks like?

thx.

2. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    sounds like it to me. My broody screeches at me if I try to get her eggs.

3. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    LOL.. sounds right. My broodies pretty much growled or screamed at me when I came too close. Little balls of feathers with amazingly fast beaks!!

4. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

That's what eveyone says.
    Mine is a bit different. She lets me pet her and kind of coos, but she's alway been a sweetie! She's been set for 5 days now [​IMG]

5. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    My broody Silkie girls grumble, but don't try to peck unless they have babies. The RIR and Cochin though, the'll take fingers and KEEP them~LOL

6. muddipuppy

Jul 22, 2009
    Mountain View, CA
    i highly doubt mine has more than one egg under her. also, i don't have a rooster, so it's not fertile. it this the time to order my girl some eggs to sit on?

7. When the hens go broody around here, they are little terrors. They will peck your eye out if they could reach it and they SQUEAL like high school girls if you come near their eggs. Bless them and their little broody selves.

8. muddipuppy

Jul 22, 2009
    Mountain View, CA
    My silkie is quite a sweetheart all the time, so I wasn't that surprised when she just grumbled as I fished around under there and found the two eggs that were laid yesterday. I replaced them with a wooden one to see if she's serious about this.

9. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Sounds broody to me too! Why is it that those grumpy "broody mamas" give us the warm and fuzzies? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by