Is this what "broody" looks like?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Just sayin, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Just sayin

Just sayin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2014
    [​IMG]

She is a little over 6 months old. She has been laying real well, but last night she was in the nest at roost time, which was unusual... more unusual, she was still there this morning. But she hasn't laid anything. I felt around and there are no eggs under her. She gets real mad to be bothered and growls and puffs up like a puffer fish!

Is she broody, or is she sick?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Sounds like you have a broody on your hands...

3. Feathyr

Feathyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2014
    Idaho
    Possibly. Hens don't usually go broody overnight, but there are always a few exceptions. They'll also puff like that while laying an egg, so she may not be broody but just a little slow.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Looks and sounds like a classic broody -- I generally consider them "officially broody"/serious about it after the second consecutive day/night spent on the nest.

5. Just sayin

Just sayin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2014
    So what should I do about it? Leave her be, or stick an egg under her?

I've been reading since I posted, and it seems that even if you don't see them do it, they will get up to eat and drink, poop, etc? I don't really need to worry about her?

6. joannefiddler

joannefiddler Chillin' With My Peeps

If you have a rooster and have fertile eggs in the refrigerator, try taking them out and letting them warm up, then offering them to her. My broody is like a vending machine in reverse...I put an egg next to her and she deftly raises her wing and scoops it under her...she repeats until I'm out of eggs. My advice would then be to move her and her nest into a dog crate where you can keep her from accepting a ton of other eggs from all the other hens. Have fun! It's a wonderful process to observe.

She's a lovely hen by the way [​IMG]. Hope she is a super mom.

1 person likes this.
  7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    What to do depends on what you want - do you want/can you afford (space, etc) to add to your flock at this time? Do you have fertile eggs? If you want chicks, give her some eggs - if you do not, I would suggest reading up on how to "break a broody" because whether she has eggs or not she will stay there attempting to hatch them and the process of brooding is taxing on a hen (due to the fact that they stay on the nest and reduce the eating, drinking, etc) -plus, if production of eggs is important to you, snapping her out of an unnecessary brush with broodiness sooner rather than later is to your benefit as it will mean she will return to laying sooner rather than later.

8. joannefiddler

I provide water and feed in the crate but then I open the door in the afternoons until I close them up for the night. Most days she will come out for a stretch and a quick dust bath, but some days she doesn't leave the crate at all.

9. Jediwalker

Jediwalker Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2014
    Oregon
    She is possibly broody. I had a hen who did that for about a week or two. How long has she been setting there? If she has been there for a few days, and keeps puffing up every time you go to her, you can bet she is broody. She looks like she will be a great mom if you let her hatch eggs! [​IMG]

10. joannefiddler

Also should have mentioned, I put "play sand" (from Walmart, Lowes, etc.) in the bottom of the crate and then move the nest and eggs from the nest box to the crate. The sand is easy to clean and once the chicks hatch I like it as they can easily scratch in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by