1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this white silkie a paint?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by aukuma, Jun 6, 2011.

1. aukuma

aukuma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    W PA
    I thought I'd ask since I am new to silkies and their colors. He is white but has some black feathers here and there, not like my splash. I thought it was just a defect, but is it possible that he's a paint?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your help!

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Probably just a "washed out" splash. Where'd you get him from?

3. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I was told that white with black spots is a paint. If those are black I would say you have a paint. I was inquiring about 2 hens I have and found out they where not paints. You can post that pic in the Silkie thread and they will be more thn happy to let you know. Don't hold me to what I said because I am no pro at all when it comes to the names of the different colors. Your best bet is to post it on the Silkie thread.

If it is and I where you I would not sell it. I would ask what to breed it with to get more because from what I understand you can sell the eggs and or chicks for a higher dollar then some of the other colors. Then again, i'm no pro. It's best to ask the pros. Good luck. I hope it's a paint. [​IMG]

4. aukuma

May 26, 2010
    W PA
    I bought 4 from someone who had to get rid of them because her dog was eating their poop and getting sick, she didnt tell me where she got them. She said they were not related though. I thought he was white with the random black being a small defect. He looks white, not really washed out.

5. aukuma

May 26, 2010
    W PA
    Quote:Unfortunately I have to sell him, I just cant keep all the roos I have. I live right in town and only have 9 chickens, looks like 3 of those are roosters [​IMG] I thought he was just a white silkie, but I'm not sure now.

6. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I wish I lived nearby. I'd buy him in a second.

7. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    He really looks like a very light splash. Generally the paint spots are much more definitive like the pullet below. She has quite a few spots for a paint, but definitely doesn't look like a splash. Her background is pure white with BLACK spots...not bluish spots.

[​IMG]

8. aukuma

May 26, 2010
    W PA
    I looked at the paint silkies on the feathersite and mine most certainly does not have those huge blotches of black.

9. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:not all of them have those big black spot here in the usa

10. aukuma

May 26, 2010
    W PA
    I have him for auction on here starting at $10 but he's headed to a live auction on wednesday if he has no bids. [​IMG] I just can't keep roosters, my neighbor was complaining that they had her up at 2:00 am [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by