Is this why my girls aren't laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Baggavond, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Baggavond

Baggavond New Egg

Aug 1, 2013
    I have a set of Buff Orpingtons that are about 1 1/2 yrs old and have been laying for about a year now. They always go into their nesting box and we've never had any problems.

This spring we got 2 baby Isa Brown girls. About a month ago we joined them all together in the same coop and things have been fine. However, now the Isa's are going into the nesting box to "play" and, unfortunately, "poop". I try to keep it cleaned out but they must have adopted it as their new playhouse and are spending more and more time in there.

The past few days the Orpington girls have not been laying their daily egg each. I opened the nesting box today and it was full of poop again.

So...is this why the Orpingtons are not laying? Should I devise a second nesting box, or is there some way to keep the Isas out of the box? I've asked them nicely, but they just don't seem to listen to me smile.png

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would probably give them a second nest, just because two flocks are trying to get used to each other. It can be as simple as a corner with a bit of extra hay, a cardboard box, etc. I suppose the poop could be causing them to go elsewhere, but they might act this way whether the nest is clean or dirty. Are you sure they aren't laying in a hidden nest somewhere? This would be a good setup to cause them to do this.

The stress of new birds and summer heat can certainly interfere with laying. They could be headed into a molt, too. Stress can also trigger a molt.

3. Baggavond

Baggavond New Egg

Aug 1, 2013
    thanks..and sorry for the double post ...I thought I had deleted the first one cause I had accidentally posted it in the wrong area ..ooops!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by