Is this Winter Behavior or a Sick Chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ann10, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Ann10

Ann10 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2014
    I have three black sex links for a backyard flock. They are all the same age, about 1.5 years old. Only one went through a true molt this winter, one has been laying an egg about every three days, and one, my previously best egg layer, has been dropping soft shelled eggs from the roost about two or three times a week all winter. Her egg has made it to the laying stage only two times in the last month. Our winters are not that cold, I am in Northern California. They all eat the same feed, organic layer crumbles, they have free choice crushed eggshells/oyster shell. They have plenty of room to roam in a large run area and have no predators that I am aware of. I don't know if she is sick or what, her comb is still red and she looks otherwise healthy.

Any suggestions?

2. Tillicans

Tillicans Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm having similar situation with one of my leghorn x, I found if I left her in the coop longer she seems to be better, due to eating feed more. I give them organic pellets. Also I experimented with giving them less table scraps that helped also, as you she has plenty of oyster shell/grit etc. I thought it might be worms so I de-wormed her with Iverworm. I'm in Sydney and it's the middlhebof summer she's 2yrs old. She payed a pherfect egg yesterday. Otherwise she's healthy Keep an eye on her.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Are you offering oyster shell on the side? They will take it as their bodies need it.

4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

She possibly is not consuming the Oyster Shell?.....Nutrition might be out of balance? ......You free range so that could be a factor on the diet being out of Balance......

Cheers!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  5. Ann10

Ann10 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2014
    I finally took her to the vet and it turns out she IS sick. She is now on antibiotics and calcium supplements. I have my fingers crossed this will help her.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What is she sick with?

7. Ann10

Ann10 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2014
    The vet did not know what she is sick with except that she is passing not fully formed eggs. Otherwise, she looks very healthy, feathers are shiny, comb is bright red and her weight is good. Her blood test came back though showing an infection somewhere and her calcium is low.

I can't believe I'm giving a pill to a chicken twice a day, they taught me the technique, but it is still rather challenging.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    In case they didn't give you this advise: Pull on their wattles and their mouth will open.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by