Is this yogurt ok?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by My chicken is cuter, Feb 18, 2009.

1. My chicken is cuter

My chicken is cuter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    So I just went to Kroger and they had a six pack of Yopait yogurt on sale for 10 cents, so I bought it. The sell by date is tomarrow.My chicks are coming next week probably on Wednesday or Thursday,and I was wondering would it be ok to give it to them. If I can't it's no big deal, it was only 10 cents.

2. bulldog-girl

bulldog-girl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    should be fine. I have had sealed yogurt for weeks after the sell by date. Is the yogurt plain with no sugar? I have never given mine flavored/sweetened yogurt. Have only given plain and homemade. Not sure if the sugar is good for them. I always watch for markdowns with yogurt/cheese and cottage cheese. If it is just at the pull date most everything is fine. I save lots of money that way.

3. My chicken is cuter

Jan 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I just looked it's got 13 grams in it. I also bought some Activa (which was also 10 cents) Would the Activa be better?

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    As far as being out of date I don't think it would hurt.
    I would avoid the flavored yogurts because of the sugar and/or artificial sweeteners.
    Plain yogurt is what you want.

5. kitchwitch

kitchwitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pa
    definitely plain yoghurt...which can now be purchased in single cups at some places. Look for that, otherwise you'll have to get a giant container of it which isn't good unless you like yoghurt as well.

6. My chicken is cuter

Jan 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Thanks. I'm kinda new at this, the only chicks I've ever gotton were 2 weeks old. I'll buy some plain yogurt next time I go to the store.

7. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes about the plain, no flavors or sugar for the chicks, but I've eaten older dated yogurt ALL the time! those dates are NOT the end of time date, they are a suggestion in most cases, good to go by to some extent, but I've gone well over the date on yogurt. Meat? Not so much... actual milk, yeah, I'm careful there, but you see it's a 'sell by' date, not an 'eat by'.

Even the 'best if used by' dates are just that, BEST, not the end of the world if it's a day or a week or a month older in some cases. In fact, the BEST if used by date is determined by the company, not the health dept or some safety rule. It all depends on what the product is. common sense, common sense, common sense!

Dairy and meat dates are determined by the USDA I believe, but even that is a 'sell by' date, with an expectation that we will have them around in the fridge at least a bit longer.

8. birdbrain2

birdbrain2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2008
    belleville, IL.
    i bought some activa, my chicks won't touch it, i even put starter crumbles on top. if its not moving they don't want it. (besides their feed)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by