Is Today Day One or Yesterday?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Feb 13, 2012.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Yesterday I set my chicken eggs at 1:35PM. Would that mean that yesterday was day one or today is day one?

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    The day the eggs are set is day #0.

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    Okay thank you. Only about 20 more days to go (after today that is). [​IMG] I don't know how you guys can wait this long! I am already going crazy and checking the incubator every 5 minutes. Don't ask what I am looking for this early in incubation! [​IMG]

4. flappinhappy

flappinhappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2011
    Palmetto, Fl.
    Don't feeel too bad I raised from day ones and couldn't stop watching them. Then decided to hatch and LORDY time stopped I swear :) but 3 out of 4 hatched and I was over the moon [​IMG]

5. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    If you set early in the morning, that is day 1. If you set in the afternoon or evening, the next day is day 1. At least that's how I understand it. I set some eggs yesterday afternoon too, so we'll have to have a hatch-a-long!

6. AHDCST

AHDCST Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] Hey, can anyone join this hatch along. I actually set my eggs this afternoon so I may be a day behind you guys. I have 2 incubators so when the first round went into lock down in the second incubator, the turner got filled back up with round 2!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If I set my eggs before noon, that same day is Day One. If I set them after noon, the next day counts as Day One. It's just an estimate anyway. Some tend to hatch on Day 21, some breeds on Day 20, some pip on Day 19, some are perpetually late and hatch on Day 22.

I set eggs at 3:20 p.m. on Feb 11 so Feb. 12 is Day One. I added several on Feb. 12, since it was still on Day One. There are 55 eggs in the Hovabator, most in the turner, some piggybacked.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  8. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    The day you set is day one. If you set at 1:35 then at the same time the next day is day 2.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yeah, you can go by the exact time you set to the next day at that exact same time as ending the first day, but since it's an estimate, no need to sweat it. [​IMG]

10. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    Thank you everyone! Looks like today is day 2! This waiting is intense! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by