IS TREATED WOOD BAD FOR CHICKENS?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Fawn and Fam, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Fawn and Fam

Fawn and Fam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    I heard that treated lumber is poisonous to chickens. Is that true?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Many people use treated wood around chickens, since the chemicals have changed in recent years from the more toxic compoinds used in the past.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Treated wood is fine to use.for building coops and runs

4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

If you are worried, you can always paint the wood....makes it harder for the chemicals to leach out.

5. Wrooster

Wrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Northern Florida
    If you're going to paint it, you might have to wait several weeks or more until it's dry enough. It's often saturated when you buy it. It also destroys metal fasteners (nails, screws, staples) unless you have the right kind.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  6. Fawn and Fam

Fawn and Fam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    What is the right kind?

7. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    It will be easiest to ask at the hardware store, so that they can point you in the direction you need. You'll be looking for coated or galvanized hardware.

Wait at least a few MONTHS (most environments) before painting. Treated lumber is 'wet', and needs to dry before you paint.

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Use "deck screws" or galvanized nails

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yup, there are specific products for painting/staining treated wood. You need to wait, but when it's ready, you need to paint or stain for longest life. Stores where they sell materials to build your own deck have the products, and hopefully, an employee with the information.

10. Wrooster

Wrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Northern Florida
    Several good answers already. They stopped using arsenic in treated wood a few years back and now use copper, which is less poisonous but just as hard on fasteners. Our deck was built 20 years ago and all the screws in the railing have rusted. At best they show through the paint, at worst they break when you try to unscrew them - or are already broken. I believe they were galvanized but not enough. I spent some time with Google to see what I need, found the spec and the rights words to look for on the box, and couldn't find anything with the right spec at Home Depot. They do have lots of screws that say they are for treated wood and I bought some, but if it's critical, use stainless. For chickens, I'd consider price and availability.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by