Is treating my untreated coop at home harmful to my chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MegsFlock3, Oct 27, 2014.

1. MegsFlock3

MegsFlock3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2014
    My grandpa built my coop with untreated plywood and I want to seal it. Is it harmful to my chickens? Can i just paint it? Answers are EXTREMELY appreciated. i will read all of them!!!!!!!![​IMG]

2. LanceTN

LanceTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    Paint the exterior walls. Then for the floor inside your cheapest bet is to soak it in used motor oil.

Just let it dry and ventilate before reintroducing the birds.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It is also fine to paint the interior. Just let the paint cure well before putting the chickens in.

4. LanceTN

LanceTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014

This is true but it isn't necessary. If money is a concern you can leave the wood bare.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Could you please give a little information about what the coop looks like and what parts you are considering painting? That might help on some specifics. Any wood that touches the ground should be protected. I don’t know if you are talking about a big walk-in coop on the ground with a dirt floor or an elevated coop with a wooden floor. Treated wood does not need to be painted but you are talking about untreated wood.

If the coop is on the ground, the splash area around the outside needs to be protected. That’s where rain or run-off from the roof can splash up on wood. If you have a wooden floor you probably should paint it and the area around the inside where the litter covers to slow that from rotting. If the poop builds up enough to be damp or the litter gets damp your untreated floor and bottom of the walls will rot pretty quickly.

Is it harmful to my chickens? No, untreated plywood is not harmful to your chickens. Not sure if that is what you asked or not.

Chickens and birds in general have sensitive respiratory systems. Miners carry canaries into mines to check for bad air. If the canary dies, get out before you die. Paint fumes can be dangerous to chickens. You can paint inside or outside the coop, your choice, but be sure the paint has cured enough so the fumes are not bad before you put chickens in there. If you paint the inside, air it our well. You should be careful breathing those fumes too in an enclosed space.

You can use different types of paint or sealers. Some might be better than others in some applications but as long as they are applied right and allowed to cure they should work out.

Good luck!

6. MegsFlock3

MegsFlock3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2014
    Thanks for the suggestions y'all!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by