1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is turkey prestarter/starter okay for 6 week old pullet chicks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Clucktagious, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Clucktagious

Clucktagious New Egg

Mar 14, 2011
    Waverly, Ohio
    Our feedstore was out of the Purina brand chick starter today, and in fact had no actual chick starter. The guy there, who I believe knows his stuff pretty well, sold me Kalmback turkey prestarter/starter. It has 28% protein, 3% fat, and 4% crude fiber. He seemed to think it was actually better for the chicks than actual chick-starter and said that alot of folks raising for 4-H use it, but I am guessing those folks are going for fast growth. I want to insure proper development for my layers.

2. bt03

bt03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    Turkey starters are usually really high in protein because turkeys tend to grow pretty fast. If you are wanting it for say cornish x meat birds and want to cull quickly then a turkey starter is actually better because of the niacin that is good for leg growth (if that feed has a good amount) for larger breeds like cornish x, turkeys and ducks. Our ducklings get a 24% protein feed and chick get 18% protein feed as babies, but then again ducks grow much faster than chickens. If you are wanting them to grow at a slower rate (like layers should) then you will want to wait for their regular feed to come in.

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Never heard it called "prestarter" but standard 28% protein gamebird starter is OK for chicken chicks for brief periods. I often hatch some chicks along with my poults and they all get the same feed for a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by