Is Two Chickens Too Little?

CovertS2

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 21, 2012
I have been begging for chicken for months and I finally received the ok I had been hoping for! When I get them, will they be lonely if there are only two of them? Would three be better or will it not make any difference? I need answers ASAP cause I'm hoping to get them next week!

Thank you!:)

Good Morning, I am unsure of the answer to your question as I jumped in with more than 2 , What I can tell you is if you decide later say two weeks or so that you wish you had got three and get another baby chick it probably couldn't go right in with the other two chicks .. A couple weeks makes a huge difference in the pecking order and the younger one will get pecked at more than likely. If you are buying two Mature Hens adding a third later won't be hard. I would Be very careful not to get Two Roosters if you get one Hen though .. Hopefully some one will be able to tell you if they have ever had just two .. I wouldn't want to see just one though I do think it would be lonely : ) Welcome to The Very Fun World of Raising Chcikens !
welcome-byc.gif

My 3 three year olds are happy to have each other. They are very social & vocal and I think they would not be so happy with just two.They keep each other entertained and not bored. So I think its a good thing to have more. I have just begun the research on adding more chickens. Great question. Great information in the response you got too!

Back
Top Bottom