is VEG OIL ok to give to chickens (on top of food)?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by HeyMama, Sep 29, 2013.

1. HeyMama

HeyMama New Egg

Dec 26, 2012
    We have some oil from a deep fryer that we would otherwise throw away when we replace our
    fryer oil, but I was thinking that maybe the chickens would find it tasty atop some bread scraps.

I've researched to see if it is good for them or bad for them, with no luck.

Thoughts?

2. Oil is not something that a chicken would benefit from. Nothing in their natural eating patterns would even mimic oil. Some food stuffs like this should just be put to other uses like the compost pile (I try not to put oil in there even) or the trash.

Wish ya the best.

3. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I'm not sure about your fryer oil, but I know vegetable oil is sometimes added to feed. The local farmer where I sometimes buy feed uses it to make feed not so dusty. Oil could be a source of healthy fats and other things. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

4. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

Chickens eat seeds and nuts that have oil in them. Of course chickens would not eat as much oil as they would if someone poured vegetable oil over bread or something.

I think chickens can eat vegetable oil or lard just fine. I would just suggest spreading it out.

5. Olive oil is good for treating the crop. And so could vegetable oil. But I was thinking in general. Fat is good in a chickens diet as well as some oils that are in seeds, proteins and the like. But overall I cannot see the benefit to feeding to your chickens on pieces of bread. Unless you may be trying to fatten them up.

I don't think it would kill. But just don't see the need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by