Is vegetable oil safe for chickens?

mirintheuniverse

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2021
Hi!

I recently switched my feed over to New Country Organics. I really like that they keep their grains whole and that it contains no soy.
While looking over the ingredients, I noticed it had sunflower and vegetable oil. Based on my knowledge of oils, I know vegetable oils aren't good due to the amount of omega-6 fatty acids. Too much omega 6 leads to inflammation in the body. So that got me wondering, is the oil bad for the chickens too? I know it's used to reduce the dust in the feed but I wouldn't want to give my chicken this if it harms them. If it is bad for them, does anyone have any feed recommendation that strays away from vegetable oils?

Thank you in advance for any knowledge you can share!

Here are all the ingredients in case any of you were curious:
Organic Peas, Organic Corn, Organic Wheat, Organic Oats, Fish Meal, Calcium Carbonate, Organic Alfalfa Meal, Organic Flaxseed, Sodium Silico Aluminate, Dried Organic Kelp, Active Dry Yeast, Organic Sunflower Oil, Monocalcium Phosphate, Salt, DL Methionine, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Dimenthylpyrimidinol Bisulfite, Riboflavin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Organic Vegetable Oil, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation product, Dried Bacillus licheniformis Fermentation product, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation product, Saccharomyces cerevisiae yeast culture.

Hi!

I recently switched my feed over to New Country Organics. I really like that they keep their grains whole and that it contains no soy.
While looking over the ingredients, I noticed it had sunflower and vegetable oil. Based on my knowledge of oils, I know vegetable oils aren't good due to the amount of omega-6 fatty acids. Too much omega 6 leads to inflammation in the body. So that got me wondering, is the oil bad for the chickens too? I know it's used to reduce the dust in the feed but I wouldn't want to give my chicken this if it harms them. If it is bad for them, does anyone have any feed recommendation that strays away from vegetable oils?

Thank you in advance for any knowledge you can share!

Here are all the ingredients in case any of you were curious:
Organic Peas, Organic Corn, Organic Wheat, Organic Oats, Fish Meal, Calcium Carbonate, Organic Alfalfa Meal, Organic Flaxseed, Sodium Silico Aluminate, Dried Organic Kelp, Active Dry Yeast, Organic Sunflower Oil, Monocalcium Phosphate, Salt, DL Methionine, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Dimenthylpyrimidinol Bisulfite, Riboflavin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Organic Vegetable Oil, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation product, Dried Bacillus licheniformis Fermentation product, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation product, Saccharomyces cerevisiae yeast culture.
Not sure if its bad, but I recommend Purina chicken feed.

The vegetable oil is probably fine, especially at the low level included in that feed.

With any whole-grain feed, chickens tend to pick out their favorite parts, leave the rest, and end up malnourished. (They get too much of some things, and not enough of other things.) So you will want to watch for that. The kind of food where everything is ground up and formed into a pellet or crumble were designed to make sure each chicken gets the correct balance of ingredients, with no picking and choosing, so chickens sometimes ARE healthier with a pelleted or crumble food.

The vegetable oil is probably fine, especially at the low level included in that feed.

With any whole-grain feed, chickens tend to pick out their favorite parts, leave the rest, and end up malnourished. (They get too much of some things, and not enough of other things.) So you will want to watch for that. The kind of food where everything is ground up and formed into a pellet or crumble were designed to make sure each chicken gets the correct balance of ingredients, with no picking and choosing, so chickens sometimes ARE healthier with a pelleted or crumble food.
Interesting. Thank you for sharing! I'll make sure to watch for that. Do you know what I should watch for specifically that would indicate they may be malnourished?

Whole grain feeds are intended to be fed wet or fermented. The vitamins are in the powdery part (or in a pellet depending on the brand), and the chickens WILL end up deficient if it's not fed in a way that prevents them from picking their favorites from the mix. :)
That sounds really reasonable to me. Wetting it may help a lot then.

Back
Top Bottom